Ramco HCM Review

Allows you to write customer business logic into rules. There is room for improvement of the user interface.

What is most valuable?

Excel upload for all multi-line inputs.

This allows users to upload data to any tabular input fields. If the user has to enter expenses (multiple line items), this requires him to manually update multiple fields for a single line item of expense before moving to the next line item.

There is a quicker way of doing this. This tool allows him to update all the fields of an expense line item in an Excel sheet. He can add as many such line items as he wants. He can upload this Excel file and voila, all rows get populated on the screen. This is far more convenient than punching each line item on the screen.

The provision to write customer business logic into rules.

How has it helped my organization?

The UI has improved a lot. Emphasis is also being given to testing to make sure it’s bug free. There is a product roadmap.

What needs improvement?

• User interface
  • Testing the application to ensure that it is bug free
  • Allowing the end user, who has no technical knowhow, to make and run custom reports
  • User Experience: The earlier version of Ramco was not intuitive from a user experience perspective. Ramco has done a lot of work in making the UI more convenient for the user.
  • Testing: Ensuring that the product is bug free. There were so many bugs in the older releases. Product teams are more focused now on testing the product.

I have been using this solution for 18 months.

There are several stability glitches which one encounters after each upgrade cycle.

For a multi-country setup, some of the data structures can’t be extended.

Support is improving, but a lot needs to be done.

We previously used SAP. Ramco is lightweight both in terms of cost and functionality compared to SAP.

The setup was straightforward. The trouble starts when a customer intends to customize the solution.

It is priced fairly. Instead of negotiating about price, I recommend trying to extract a better SLA for services and a concrete roadmap.

We looked at SAP, Oracle, and other cloud based solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t expect “SAP-like" comprehensive functionality. Ramco delivers value for a simple straight out-of-the-box solution. Don’t customize, or else you will have to pay too much for too little value.