Ranorex Studio Review

Automation coverage overnight is very useful, although it needs to have modularity.

What is most valuable?

• Spy
  • CodeModule
  • XPath

How has it helped my organization?

Automation coverage overnight is very useful. Compared to Selenium, Ranorex has a very small learning curve, so most of the technical QA people can start development with it right away.

What needs improvement?

They need to have modularity (running concurrently different parts of the tests on different environments and reporting back to centralized run centre). Currently we are implementing this functionality via code, but feature should give a lot of advantages.

I've used it for three years.

The scalability is limited to one process. You cannot have multiple reports combined together automatically, because each run is independent.

The support is pretty good, they have been able to work out some bugs with their licensing and they seems to be pretty helpful in general. The forum is the best advantage, because it's a pretty big community of coders share problem/solution there.

Selenium was in use before Ranorex. Ranorex have a great starter's guide for people that have never done automation. Selenium problems will lead to huge stack traces and unclear errors, while Ranorex stripped out a lot out of basic Visual Studio, so the majority of errors are pretty easy to describe and fix.

The initial set-up is easy for an experienced person, and for technical QA, without a lot of automation experience. Ranorex is a great tool to learn automation with pleasure.

In-house implementation. It's great to have Ranorex paired with Bamboo and AWS

Floating licensing are good for running the scripts on different machines (runtime). For developing, we are using node-locked ones, because Ranorex requires Windows, so we need to buy Windows laptops. It's the biggest drawback of Ranorex that it's limited to one operating system.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have several windows environments for development. You can use Ubuntu or Mac for running tests inside AWS windows box, but development is better or native windows.