Ranorex Studio Review

We've used it for one of our biggest clients to automate Web (Asp .net, Sharepoint and Silverlight applications) and Desktop (Windows and WPF) applications. But tests fail with minimized browsers.

What is most valuable?

Strong Element capturing feature of Ranorex Spy, Coding in C#/ VB .net, Easy integration with CI Tools like Jenkins, TFS, TeamCity, Supports cross browsers, Tool Stability, Powerful record and playback, Ranorex IDE, Visual Studio IDE Integration.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used Ranorex for one of our biggest client to automate Web (Asp .net, Sharepoint and Silverlight applications) & Desktop (Windows and WPF) applications. We had smoke and regression test were running on daily basis on Production environment. Now doing some migration on the existing scripts for CRM support.

What needs improvement?

Other OS Support, Ranorex Spy performance improvement (Especially for Silverlight controls)

Tests will fail if browser minimised, Parallel Execution Not possible (We could do are some extend if we use DOM method), From my experience, Ranorex Spy is slow when spying on Silverlight controls (ex:- Consider if 500 UI Elements are in an hierarchy & you are trying to spy 470th element)

for more than 5 years

not issues, but difficulties when I try to integrate with tfs

Performance was slow for Silverlight applications

not specific

7 out of 10

8 out of 10

yes, previously I was using an automation tool (build on VB .NET) which did not have capability for automating flash/ Silverlight/ windows applications.

Very simple

in-House

We have automated 15+ internal applications for our client, which reduced much manual effort on regression testing.

no comments

When I try Silverlight automation (5-6 years back) no tools were promising, (Including popular tools in the market), So chosen Ranorex. But now many tools supporting Silver light applications, So better if we do re-evaluation against latest tools in the market