Ranorex Studio Review

Anyone with an elementary knowledge of programming should be able to work with it right away, but it is based on an old version of SharpDevelop IDE, though they are planning an upgrade to it soon.

Valuable Features

• Very reliable (multiplatform and technologies) element recognition
  • Reliable recording
  • Speedy and helpful support
  • Great community forum.

Improvements to My Organization

Ranorex helps us to test our apps more effectively on a daily basis.

Room for Improvement

The current version of Ranorex Studio IDE is based on an old version of SharpDevelop IDE (3.2), but this is going to change soon (planned update to SharpDevelop 4.x). So aside some minor feature requests I made in the past (many of them have already been implemented), I don’t have any urgent requests. The good thing about Ranorex is that it’s fully .Net compatible, so a lot of things could be self-implemented via custom C#/ VB.NET code.

Use of Solution

I’ve been using it personally for over three years, but in Descartes we have been using it for about a year or so.

No issues encountered.

Ranorex support is speedy, reliable and very friendly.

Setup is easy, anyone with an elementary knowledge of programming should be able to work with it right away. Otherwise, there is comprehensive user guide, some nice video tutorials, and an excellent community forum.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house as the setup is easy and straightforward. It just requires some time to create and implement a good test automation workflow, however, this is irrelevant to the test automation product itself.

ROI

ROI is hard to estimate and I’m not the one who estimated it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The Ranorex pricing and licensing seems to be adequate, considering the feature set, level of support and frequency of updates. It’s not cheap, but definitely not the most expensive test automation tool.

Other Solutions Considered

Before we picked Ranorex, we did a direct comparison with Squish and TestComplete.

Other Advice

I would suggest you try to implement a use case with multiple concurrent test automation products, to find the right one for your needs. It’s good to compare various aspects of different products - element recognition consistency, recording reliability, reusability of test modules, comprehensiveness of support and documentation, and the quality of the community forum etc.

1 visitor found this review helpful