Ranorex Studio Review

Reporting capability and error handling capabilities are one of the best.

Valuable Features:

• It supports two languages C#.Net and VB.NET
  • We use Ranorex Spy, Ranorex Repository, User Functions, Modules, Run Configurations, Data Driven Testing and Cross Browser, Cross Platform Testing
  • It has very good integration with Visual Studio, Jenkins and Testlink
  • Cross platform testing
  • Reporting capability and error handling capabilities are one of the best
  • GDI Capability allows to identify un-recognizable objects

Improvements to My Organization:

I implemented this tool for several of my customers and I can see the ROI rightaway. The tool is very easy to use and test automation can be started rightaway and improvements can be done later on. Perhaps this is the only tool where I would reply on Record and Playback because it just does excellent job same as manually adding automated test steps.

We automated hundreds of regression tests using this tool and they run every weekend and every time the test fails, an email is sent out. Earlier we used to run one big round of regression test every quarter but now we do it every week. Huge savings!!

Room for Improvement:

• Built in web services testing functionality is required
  • Built-in file comparison would be very handy
  • Support for Mac and Linux would be handy, it supports only Windows

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

I personally think that, perhaps, it is one of the most stable automated tools available in the market. You can rely on your tests and it won’t let you down.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues scaling it.

Other Advice:

I would recommend reading through the user guide, the guide is very comprehensive and provides a lot of examples of best practises Buy Runtime Engine licenses for execution rather than full Ranorex Studio license. Make use of Cross Browser Testing as far as possible (Automate once and run on multiple browsers). Use variables and data fields that have consistent names (like $UserName and $Password).

Use data-driven testing, which allows to run the same test over and over with different data while getting consistent and verifiable results. Use the data to feed and to validate the system. Create small and distinct tests and you can always combine them in the test case. By keeping the tests small and simple you decrease the overhead of maintenance. Don’t automate tests which are run only once, try to automated repetitive tests.