Ranorex Studio Review

Offers a strong suite of tools for application testing of mobile, desktop, and API apps

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this as client solutions for test automation and administration.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us various options to work as a consultancy with our different size clients.

What is most valuable?

The application test automation is the most valuable feature as well as being the one feature we use the most.

What needs improvement?

While the product does well with its primary job of testing, when we are using Ranorex it would be nice if it would report directly in HTML. We have to use another tool for that and that means that the distribution becomes a little bit more complicated than should be necessary. It is a bigger factor especially when testing is more complicated.

So having either better integration with a secondary tool or having those functionalities added to the platform would be a nice addition and simplify our process. There is a basic reporting module and we are using JIRA in addition in order to change the report formatting. So we need to have an interface from Ranorex and JIRA. It is there, but limited. If Ranorex did the reporting directly, we could easily make the result more compliant with what our management team would expect with no additional steps.

We have been using this product for about six months on a daily basis.

It is a very stable solution and that is a reason why we are using it. While we normally use it for enterprise businesses, we might choose it as a solution for businesses with a range of 50 to 1,000 employees.

The product will scale very easily. We have some questions about the license type because we need two types of license to keep it going. I get a lot of tests from our management group and we find if you can skip purchasing some licenses, you can save some money. It seems to be that we need both licenses for one tester.

Working with customer support is very easy. They have a chat channel which you can talk to. They also have FQA so when you have some easier questions you can use that channel. When you have some specific testing that becomes a little bit more difficult. We are working with this and we are using it together with Siemens sometimes. To get to the right answers, that answer may come off of Siemens or off of Ranorex. It's not always really clear. Everyone will not have that same situation.

For me the initial setup is straightforward. There is more than just the testing administration to sets up, but also you configure the tech management and reporting management. It is a few things to do, but I am familiar with them so it is not hard.

We are doing all the installations and developing ourselves. So everything is in house.

There are standard and premium licensing plans on a fixed price. I am not sure of the cost at this time. However, in our case, we find we need two different types of licensing to meet our requirements for clients and management. It depends on the client because we are a consultancy and serve small, medium and enterprise businesses.

As a consultant, we may choose to work other products in addition to or instead of Ranorex. It will depend on client needs. So yes, we do evaluate other tools but Ranorex fits many situations.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate the product as an eight for what it does for us.

For those people in the market looking for an application testing solution, I would recommend evaluating the product and the type of projects you will need it for. I would recommend making an evaluation and comparison with other products to be sure that the needs for testing can be covered in the functionality of the Ranorex. The Ranorex is a studio, of course, so you will have lots of options to apply in ongoing test management and test automation. In my experience, those issues are all covered in Ranorex.