Rapid7 InsightIDR Review

It improved my organization by building a security alerting program

What is our primary use case?

The following are our main use cases for InsightIDR:

• Log correlation and searching, as well as alerting;
  • IDR Vulnerability management;
  • IVM;
  • Incident response;
  • Breach detection.

How has it helped my organization?

The tool has improved my organization by:

• Building a security alerting program;
  • IDR-driven improved patching;
  • Implementing IVM.

What is most valuable?

The alerting to drive investigations and remediation has been its most valuable feature. Plus the ability to quickly search multiple logs makes investigations easier. Log correlation and alerting are also helpful.

It gives us one place to have everything easily accessible and the ability to alert (including customisation of alerts).

What needs improvement?

Customised alert recipients need to be added to allow better first-line action and quicker response. Configurable honeypots would be a welcome addition.

While we have encountered stability issues, these are resource intensive systems so additional hardware solved this problem.

There have been no scalability issues. It's easy to add servers.

The technical support can be considered competent. However, they can be slow to discover solutions to tricky problems.

We did not previously use a different solution.

Very simple. Spin up a couple of servers, create all the log connectors and you are up and running. The setup was complete within days and we had alerts being generated straight away.

We did the installation without any technical help. The configuration was performed by non-technical staff.

The pricing and licensing are competitive. Licensing is simple and straightforward.

We did not evaluate any other solution in the market.

What other advice do I have?

You should use it to drive change within your IT from a security point of view. Run a PoC and see exactly what it can do for you. The simple setup means it will be running in no time and you will get meaningful alerts straight away.