Rapid7 InsightVM Review

Flexible, with good scanning, and rarely provides false positives

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to scan our internal OS and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution protects us from vulnerabilities. If it sees anything, it can tell us about the vulnerability and ranks it as critical or high risk. It allows us to take action immediately to protect our company from attacks.

What is most valuable?

The most important aspect of the solution is that it rarely gives false positives, especially compared to other products. It provides very clear reports for our IT teams to look at.

The solution has an excellent feature that scans for vulnerabilities that may affect the Windows operating system. It helps us avoid being affected by WannaCry or other malicious attacks of that nature. It's one of the most useful features that we have. We're able to see more vulnerabilities before they become an issue due to the fact that it's so protective. It's great at helping us avoid malware or ransomware.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its smart monitoring.

There needs to be much clearer instructions surrounding scanning.

As for new features, I can't think of anything that's lacking. It's pretty good overall in terms of feature offerings.

I've only been using the solution for half a year - approximately six months. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches that I have witnessed. The solution doesn't crash. It's very reliable.

The solution is very flexible and very scalable. A company that needs to add it to their endpoints should have no issues doing so. I don't think there is a limit as to how many are possible.

Typically we deploy this solution to medium-sized enterprises in microfinance and insurance.

I've been in contact with technical support in the past. they're very good. We're satisfied with the level or attention they give us and the information they share.

The solution doesn't really have a complex setup. It's easy to set up and integrate with the endpoint. We install insights at our endpoints to help us collect vulnerability information from there.

We can also install it again and again and use active scanning to conduct vulnerability testing at the endpoints. It's very simple.

Deployment doesn't take long at all. Currently, we can deploy in around two or three days and then integrate it with the endpoint after we've gotten clear instructions from InsightVM.

The steps we choose for implementation are as follows: we first need to follow the instructions to install network communication, from the endpoint to InsightVM. Network communication from the endpoint will go to the scan engine and from the scan engine to the management console of Insight.

After we satisfy this, we start implementation and we start to deploy the engine to the endpoint. After that, we run a scan from the site configuration of each endpoint scope and we file the report displayed on the dashboard. Lastly, we export the report and provide it to the correct person that needs to be involved at the IT end of things.

In terms of the number of staff we use for deployment, from our side, we have two people to help manage everything. For the customer, we have four people to coordinate with the internal team. In total, we have six people involved with deployment. Our team includes a deployment engineer and from the customer's side, members of security operations.

Normally, we have both the reseller and the vendor to assist with deployment. From the vendor, we just consult on the step and classify each endpoint. After that, we'll discuss next steps with our team. Currently, we have a distributor that provides this product to us. We work with the vendor and work with the reseller to deploy everything to the customer's systems.

The solution offers flexible pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner of InsightVM.

We're most likely using the latest version of the solution, however, I'm not sure which exact version number it is.

We've deployed on-premises with a local scan engine.

I'd advise companies that are looking into vulnerability assessment or faster deployment, to check out InsightVM. It's easy to expand as necessary and offers flexibility in its pricing.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

More Rapid7 InsightVM reviews from users