RapidMiner Review

Dedicated data science for enterprise-level data collection and analysis but the UI should be enhanced

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this particular product is to provide it for a large medical research company. It is a research company that helps pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors, and clinics with analysis. Our client collects data that they crunch to provide these types of companies information about trends in distribution and production within the pharmaceutical industry. They use RapidMiner to crunch that data.

The results of the analysis of the data helps with pricing, it helps with determining volumes, it helps with projections, et cetera. The client has a global license for RapidMiner, so here in the Middle Eastern branch, they use the same product as they do globally.

What needs improvement?

I think it is a fairly straightforward interface generally. It is an easy-to-use solution compared to SAS Enterprise Miner, for example.

On the other hand, compared to some other products, maybe the UI could be enhanced. The visual interface could have something like the-drag-and-drop features which Alteryx already supports. Some of those additional features can make RapidMiner a better tool and maybe more competitive or advanced.

We have been working with the product for maybe two years now.

Stability is good with this solution.

Scalability is not really a concern with RapidMiner. The implementation that I have seen of this product for our client now is very sizeable. It scales very well.

I had previously used other solutions but not as a part of this company. It was a matter of who I was working for.

The initial setup is something that is supposed to be straightforward according to the people who implemented the solution. I was not part of the setup directly, so I don't know how complicated that is hands-on and so I'm not sure exactly what is involved or the exact amount of time it might take. The initial data mounting might be a big task when it is done globally as it is for this client.

The current licensing cost is advertised on the website. The client only has to pay the licensing costs. There are not any maintenance or hidden costs in addition to the license.

I used to work with a company where we sold a variety of products as system integrators. So I compared some product because we had to evaluate them to know the advantages and differences. At that time, we got to the stage where we were signing up with Alteryx as a partner.

So I was in touch with those Alteryx guys and wanted to also compare their product with SAS Enterprise Miner, who we already partnered with, and with RapidMiner as well.

A couple of customers were already using RapidMiner and we were in the process of partnering with Alteryx. We have to know the other products even if it is through secondary research in addition to what the vendors are presenting.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate RapidMiner as around a seven. I choose seven because of the UI things and other parts of the product that might be improved. RapidMiner is more of an enterprise product. Here, in this region, most people like a packaged solution like Alteryx which covers more. Alteryx is also more attractive to many users because it is cheaper and easier to use from the perspective of the user interface.

With Alteryx or Tableau, for example, you can just pick up data sources and then start EDL (enterprise data lake). It takes more effort to bring the data on to the data mart for RapidMiner and other enterprise products in the traffic mining category. These enterprise solutions have an additional level of complexity and flexibility but not everyone even needs it.