RCN Hosted Voice Review

Enables us to both balance call loads through programming options and control messaging

What is our primary use case?

Our company was looking to reduce the large initial expense of purchasing a new phone system through another company, improve the administrative capability of the system, and reduce monthly operation costs while maintaining quality service.

How has it helped my organization?

Our prior phone system was static in nature and we had very limited information available to us in regards to overall volume, calls being routed, time studies, etc. The results we have now are being used to adjust call routing setup.

What is most valuable?

We like the administrative features RCN has available. It is important that we can balance call loads through programming options, and have full control of our messaging, schedules, etc.

What needs improvement?

It should be easier to set up new phone additions to the network.

Also, while we certainly like the voicemail to email feature, it is not something we set out as a requirement of the systems we were looking at. It would be more user-friendly if the voicemail was transcribed into text, but the audio file works well.

The stability has been excellent. As far as uptime goes, so far so good. We have not experienced any outages that were not weather-related. I cannot speak to the issue of packet loss but, since implementation, the overall reliability has been excellent.

We have added two phones to our system thus far. The ability to easily add to our system is what we had expected.

As far as increasing our usage of the solution is concerned, we will do so only when we need to add bandwidth or phones for additional staffing.

Technical support has been good. Any problems that have occurred have been resolved.

In terms of the solution’s NOC and customer service being US-based, and within the local markets, we always prefer a US-based service. But it all boils down to response time to our immediate needs.

We used a previous solution. Cost and additional features are why we switched. We felt we were getting increased value.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward. The team of installers was well prepared and the migration was completed as we had anticipated.

After the initial review of our system and installation of RCN's required fiber, the final install was completed in half a day. Overall, we probably invested a month in the upgrade.

Our implementation strategy was to over-prepare for the change in phone systems so there would be no loss of phone or internet service. Through proper preparation and some work being completed in stages, the cut-over was executed without any major issues.

The solution is saving our company money, based on the initial, up-front cost that would normally be required. The monthly ongoing cost is comparable to prior solutions.

My thoughts on are pricing are that it is always too high.

We considered three companies in the Lehigh Valley area as potential providers.

What other advice do I have?

Compare several options and talk with more than just the salesperson presenting the solution. If you select RCN products, work with the point person assigned to ensure the transition is completed without major issues.

If a colleague were to say to me, "A cloud solution is not safe," I would reply, "We are an online school. You secure the best you can."

We sought the solution directly through RCN.

The 13 members of our company are all using the solution, including the owner, staff, and interns we hire. In terms of maintenance, our COO and one administrative staff member are responsible for the phones' operation. When we need maintenance we call RCN.

1 visitor found this review helpful