RCN Hosted Voice Review

Reduced packet loss, higher reliability, and excellent uptime are keys for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it for phone and internet.

How has it helped my organization?

The phone quality is what has improved. Our phone quality was just not good before. We have absolutely seen less packet loss and higher reliability with this solution. We're not dropping calls like we did before, which is both reliability and packets.

Compared to traditional premise-based systems, this solution's reliability and disaster recovery are much better.

What is most valuable?

It's basic internet. The ease of the desktop phones is a valuable feature.

The uptime is excellent. We haven't had any issues. We haven't had any downtime.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure they can change it because it's the programming, but the Auto Attendant with the dialing in: We had to tweak our extensions because of the way the menu is set up. That's just their program, but I would say the flexibility in the dialing-in options could be improved.

In our old system, you just dialed the extension directly. With this system, you have to put a "one" in front of it to trigger it. A lot of clients didn't know that and they'd keep trying to dial the old extension number and would get nowhere. So we had to tell people about dialing the "one" and some people thought that was the extension number so some people would dial two "ones". It's been a little confusing. We're dealing with it. It's not even a horrible aggravation, but it's the biggest stumbling block.

Less than one year.

The stability is very good. It's excellent.

The scalability is unlimited. There aren't going to be any issues.

We have called them for help They've been very supportive. The support and the people at RCN are very easy to work with.

It helps, absolutely, that they're US-based and within the local markets. That was one of our criteria, that when we call a person we're getting America, the United States, that we're getting someone who speaks English.

Our other solution had outsourcing of customer service, it had bad phone quality, it had connectivity issues. It was just not a good product.

The initial setup was very easy. They have really good technicians who helped us. It was super smooth. They had good project management. We had weekly phone calls. It was great.

They came onsite and the phones are pretty simple, so we didn't need a whole lot of training, and the training was onsite.

Including planning and having to do some rewiring and construction stuff - that's what took the longest - the deployment took about 30 days from start to finish.

Our implementation strategy required that we had to go live, switch from the old system to the new system, and not have any downtime. So we condensed the deployment as much as we could.

It was just RCN and our internal IT consultants.

I don't have any data on ROI but there is general satisfaction among the staff. It's definitely money well spent. Because we're leasing the equipment we didn't make any investment. We just swapped out the equipment and we're leasing, so there wasn't any cash outlay upfront.

The pricing is very fair. They have very good pricing.

We looked at two other providers, in addition to RCN. The other two weren't as local, which is one of the reasons we didn't go with them. They weren't out of state, but they were further away.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend RCN Hosted Voice. Their project management, their implementation process, are just very organized. It was a seamless switch. They know what they're doing.

We don't use the voicemail transcription feature.

We have 78 people using the system from secretaries to paralegals to attorneys. We don't have any internal staff for deployment or maintenance.

I would say the automatic upgrades are seamless because I'm not aware of them. We don't see any stops or starts, so if they're happening, they're seamless.

As for someone who might say to me that a cloud solution is not safe, I'd say that's not true. We're taking our network to the cloud as well. It's safe with the right protocols and the right security.

I would rate it as a ten out of ten. Compared to the last two vendors we had in-house, this is definitely a ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful