Red Hat Ceph Storage Review
We can reuse servers of any type, even legacy, and include them in deployment

What is our primary use case?

We’re using Ceph storage to provide allocation space to instances (VMs) in an OpenStack environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The product spawned a new vision of storage deployment, as well as a strong interest in reusing equipment and increasing ROI. We have some legacy servers that can be associated with this structure. With Ceph, we can rearrange these machines and reuse our investment.

What is most valuable?

• We can reuse servers of any type and include them in the deploy of the solution.
  • radosgw and librados provide a simple integration with clone, snapshots, and other functions that aid in data integrity.

What needs improvement?

In the deployment step, we need to create some config files to add Ceph functions in OpenStack modules (Nova, Cinder, Glance). It would be useful to have a tool that validates the format of the data in those files, before generating a deploy with failures.

No current issues. Almost all our difficulties were related to implementation. After that, everything ran well.

Most times that I have implemented Ceph, I have used some type of deployment tool, like RDO (Red Hat Director). With these tools, I can make the environment scale in or out without issues. An attention point is looking for a journal and disk separation on the YAML file.

It is possible that you only have support if you partner with a vendor like Red Hat. However, you can find many articles in forums or GitHub.

We had no previous solution. My first contact with ephemeral storage is through Ceph.

My first deployment was complex, connecting Ceph with all OpenStack modules, but that was  before I was testing Ceph and doing installations manually and with hard coding.

It is not a complex implementation, but you need to look into all the structure requirements and OSDS division.

Most of time, you can get Ceph with the OpenStack solution in a subscription as a bundle.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at nine out of 10. It is a product which is constantly undergoing improvements.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Red Hat global partners.