Red Hat CloudForms Review

Good optimization but is immature and integration is complicated

What is most valuable?

The optimization of the solution is quite interesting. It means we can prepare a bunch of VMs, and of course with self-service provisioning.

What needs improvement?

The solution is still quite immature.

Those CloudForms and similar products are very capable if you are some sort of programmer. It has the infrastructure, however, to actually make it work, you have to program it yourself inside the platform. It's okay as a platform, however, it is not a ready-made product. You have to do a lot of work.

The product is expensive. It would be ideal if they could work on their pricing model.

What I expect from Red Hat is for it to make configurations for common use cases. Red Hat CloudForms allows you to integrate with external sources. Yet, if you want to integrate something, then you have to program it in Ruby in order to integrate. If you want some features with this integration, they also have to be programmed. I know that with other products, it is more of a point and click integration. Often, also, there are knowledge bases or use cases that are already present as point-and-click functionality.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point. It's been a while now.

The stability has been very good so far. We haven't had to deal with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

While we haven't tried to scale the VMs just yet, for us the scalability has been okay. An organization that needs to expand it should be able to.

Currently, in our company, we only really have four people on the solution that administer it.

We don't use technical support very much due to the fact that we are a very open-source company and are accustomed to doing our own self-support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is not too complex. It's pretty straightforward and simple. We didn't face any complications during implementation.

The pricing of the solution is quite high. It's something that could be worked on.

We evaluated a few other solutions. We knew the products of VM-Ware and others like Oracle VM and so, however not so much about their cloud management.

We have looked into the OpenStack and implemented some OpenStack, however, it is not quite in the same territory. With CloudForms, for example, we can manage OpenStack, however, OpenStack can manage itself only, and not other platforms.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Red Hat.

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we are using. It's some aspect of version four.

We use both hybrid and on-premises deployment models.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a five.

Hybrid Cloud
More Red Hat CloudForms reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vRealize Automation (vRA)
Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, VMware, Apache and others in Cloud Management. Updated: May 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.