Reduxio

Reduxio Review
It has the ability to do snapshots to any second in the last 24 hours.

349

Valuable Features

There are several features which have really set Reduxio apart in my mind as we went to renew our SAN storage and chose Reduxio:

1) The pre-processing dedupe engine they have instead of post-processing. At the time of writing there are not a lot of vendors which have an excellent tiering engine which writes to RAM, then SSD, then HDD, but also flag each block of data on the way in and only write unique data down to the hard drives. I currently have 2.7:1 and 2.5:1 dedupe savings ratios on my two SANs. Yes, I got a second one because I liked the first one so much. Notice from the screenshot below how 19 TB of data were written to the RAM tier but only 6 TB of unique data needed to be written to SSD. Same thing with reads, 37 TB of data was read from the system but only 7 TB needed to be fetched from SSD and HDD. Impressive! There is 256GB of RAM doing this cache, my old SAN had less than 1GB cache, 475MB to be exact.

2) The ability to do snapshots to any second in the last 24 hours, any hour for the last 3 days, any day in the last week, and any week in the last 3 months. This setting can be changed to suit your business requirements. Living in the era of Ransomware attacks breaking out every month I want to know I can use my Reduxio time machine to go back to the hour or second before the attack hit.

3) HTML5 management interface. I was tired of fussing with java versions and breaking my management. So far HTML5 has been beautiful and just works on all my devices and browsers. Seriously take a look at the HTML5 management interface here and see if you are not impressed.

Improvements to My Organization

I have been able to get about 60,000 IOPS and 2,000 MBps of throughput. My business was previously running on 5,000 IOPS and 500 MBps of throughput per SAN. This is a huge boost for us, approximately x4 speed increase which gives us more capacity to host virtual machines.

Room for Improvement

I am waiting on a feature set in the new version which should allow me to replicate between Reduxio iSCSI SANs for disaster recovery and also to 3rd party iSCSI SANs which are cheaper for an archive or DR target. This feature will be a huge cost savings solution for my business if we can get it up and running and will allow me flexibility to work with an archive level iSCSI SAN of my choosing.

Use of Solution

We installed this solution on November 11th, 2016.

Yes, I did not have jumbo frames enabled on my switches and this reduced the performance by approximately 50%.

None so far.

My business will not be running more than 100 TB of virtual machines which I believe is around the capacity per box. I do not know how scaling works beyond that. I run about 10-20 TB of virtual machines per SAN.

The entire team has been responsive, on campus for face to face meetings, professional, and polite. No complaints!

It has been excellent so far. I have so far received the same technician on site every time. I have been able to text him and get a reply within a few hours. We have been able to resolve all my major business needs.

The old solution was slow, expensive, and support stopped resolving my issues.

We got the SAN up and running in one 8 hour day.

Implementation Team

Reduxio provided the implementation team which worked with our in house team.

ROI

Honestly, not sure how to calculate this. I will try to post on this in the next couple of weeks.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It was the best price for capacity and speed on a hybrid array I could find.

Other Solutions Considered

I researched Nimble, DataON, Nutanix, Compellent, Simplivity, VSAN, and Tintri. My second choice was between Compellent and Nimble.

Other Advice

They gave me a free proof of concept which was very customer friendly. I advise you reach out and request to try it before you buy it and see if you don't fall in love with it. Honestly, when I first installed it I was skeptical but the technology and team won me over. I am very happy with Reduxio now!

1 visitor found this review helpful
86189cab 547c 4e8a a04c c38ff4576655 avatar

2 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30
NU_solarisUserTOP 10

Our Dell Equalogic SANs were up for renewal and we were looking around when i came across Reduxio.

Our school is small and is 1/10 the size of the University that Eric works for. I contacted the European team and they were very supportive in setting up a PoC and then with pricing given huge slashing of education budgets in the UK along with the GBP to USD exchange rate problems.

We were taking a gamble in going with them at the time ( April 2017). The PoC went well and we took a leap of faith.

This is one of the best decisions we have made.

The User interface is simple and streamlined. It's monitored 24/7. The main attraction for us is the ability go back in time by the second. It's not hype and it works.

All you do is pick a LUN where your data is residing. Enter the date / time you want to go back to. Hit the Clone button and you have a cloned LUN within seconds. You attach it to your VMWare data centre. After this you have to scan it in to your infrastructure within VMWare vsphere. Once that is done, all you do is find the vmdk you want, attach it to one of your servers and the data is there as if by magic.

There are no snapshots being done or used in this process.

It's like you go back in time finding your old girl friend and it works! Seriously we love it and now we don't worry the same amount as we did about ransomware because we know this thing can dial back.

The stuff that I haven't mentioned is that it's quick and it de-duplicates your data on the fly.

Pricing for us was a no-brainer. It was specially priced for us and price per tb was better than others but it was giving us way more. Nothing to complain there.

Implementation was over two days with a really helpful and accommodating consultant from Reduxio. One of our more seamless cut-overs. No dramas at all. We have needed the odd technical support but Reduxio responses to these queries leave you with nothing to complain.

We have used it for around 6 months so far and It has worked well without any downtime or degradation of service.

Along with the release of their newest version of software which has replication to bog standard SAN targets implemented, we plan to have a cheap SAN at remote location as a DR version of the data. Reduxio engineers are carrying out the upgrade next week.

One might find this review too good to be true. But that is the reality for us.

I highly recommend that medium sized to big businesses look at this solution seriously. Ours is a too small an institution to test scalability and / or comment on it. I know there at least a couple of big names on their list of customers at present.

For us it was the breadth of functionality, UI and the price point and their engagement.

I hope this is useful.

Like (1)05 October 17
Aed65264 87d8 4dd7 ab8b 199cb529c9aa avatar
Eric ReinholdReal UserTOP 5

My experience has been very similar! Thanks for the feedback and comment!

Like (0)07 November 17
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Reduxio?

Our experts can help. 239,537 professionals have used our research on 5,961 solutions.