Reduxio Review

Delivers a self-contained system with all of the features rolled in and functional

What is our primary use case?

This is our main/centralized storage for our approximately 45 virtualized servers and various data. It replaced our 3-node HPE LeftHand/StoreVirtual P4000 series SAN and Dell MD3000i.

How has it helped my organization?

We are enjoying a quantum leap in speed, reliability, and available space with this system. Our servers run better, we are not constantly squeezing for space, and there is no need to mess around with configuration to keep it running, struggling with constant and uncooperative updates, or buy/build notification systems for hardware failures.

The Reduxio unit just does its job and does it well; we can take our data for granted. No more worries, no more time spent managing storage. I get to spend my time on other things now and everyone in the company is happier with the systems running better and having plenty of space.

What is most valuable?

Of course, the big feature, backdating of datastores right down to the second without any need for proactively taking snapshots, is incredibly valuable - and it works as advertised. If there is an emergency or just if you're experimenting, it only takes a scant few quick clicks to roll a datastore back to a specific time of your choosing, either branching that moment off into a new deduplicated datastore or just rolling the existing datastore back.

I would have to say, though, that the most valuable feature of this system is the company that sells it.

Every time I have learned about the latest and greatest storage system, then bought it, no matter how hard I tried to make sure that the features were delivered, I always ended up with a small subset of the promised features. Sometimes, they turn out to be a prohibitively expensive add-on license, sometimes they end up not working as promised, or sometimes they end up incompatible with our systems despite having verified compatibility beforehand. Reduxio delivers a self-contained system with all of the features rolled in and functional! It just plain works:

• Deduplication
  • Backdating
  • Automated tiering of data for hybrid flash/spinning storage
  • System monitoring

All of it is in the one price that we paid. All of it was delivered. All of it works.

Not only does Reduxio deliver on their feature promises, but they also provided far more help with initial installation/configuration/optimization than I ever expected.

I can't remember if I have ever been so impressed with a product or with a company.

What needs improvement?

I can always imagine possible improvements to anything I use, and despite my gushing praise I am capable of coming up with a few minor ideas.

I would love to see deeper integration with VMware vSphere/vCenter. Right now, I can edit existing Reduxio datastore sizes in the vSphere web client. Provisioning new datastores that way would be nice. I do not know if it is possible, but making the process more transparent by hooking into VMware's existing pages would be convenient instead of using the Actions menu or having separate tabs/pages.

Adjustable defaults for things like block size and server assignment would be great.

(For all I know, those features have already been released and I ignored an email telling me about it.)

I dislike web interfaces, so I mostly use the old vSphere thick client, but the Reduxio plugin only works in the web interface. I doubt anyone anywhere is making/updating plugins for that, though.

The expert to whom I spoke before trialing the system was the very same person who came to help - and he wasn't there to merely assist; he wanted to just take care of everything for us. He came onsite to rack it, cable it, network it, configure our ESXi hosts, troubleshoot everything, migrate our data...everything. I actually prefer to be more involved, since that is how I learn new systems. He was just as happy to let me be exactly as involved as I wanted to be and to teach me what I needed to know. He brought everything that was needed to bring it online - NICs for our ESXi hosts, switches (loaned to us during the trial period); everything. When we ran into unexpected and weird difficulties he made sure to resolve them with me.

2 visitors found this review helpful