RHEV Review

RHEV continues to evolve and delivers functionality at low cost

We have been using RHEV in our production environment since 3.0 and have I to say that the product continues to evolve with each release. The current version is very stable and offers all of the features we require from a virtualisation infrastructure platform. I am especially impressed with the self provision user portal and the performance of Spice as a remote desktop protocol, although it would be nice to have better client end support (OSX, IOS etc).

One of the biggest lacking features is the ability to replicate virtual machine configurations to another RHEV environment for DR. Our development team addressed this by producing a python script which calls the REST API and replicates VM configuration allowing us to restore data into prebuilt VMs. www.quru.com/rvsr

Overall we are very happy with RHEV and have deployed a number of roll outs to our UK based clients. Looking forward to the next release.

Disclaimer: the company I work for is partners with several vendors including Red Hat

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer:
More RHEV reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with VMware vSphere
1 Comment

author avatarit_user4401 (Developer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees)

I like at RHEV the feature called Transparent Huge Pages, which allows Linux to dynamically create large memory pages for virtual machines and improve performance by reducing the number of times that memory is accessed. Another useful feature is a power user portal that allows users to provision VMs, define templates, administer and customize environments. RHEV 3.0 and the newer versions have scalability improvements. As far as I know, they support around 160 logical CPUs and 2 TB per host. You said that you are very happy with RHEV, I am also happy with it.