RHEV Review

Provides speed and stability; could integrate better into two in ones

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case was running an entire government payroll system.

What is most valuable?

Basically stability and speed are the most valuable aspects.

What needs improvement?

Realistically, I found Red Hat to be fairly usable. It was an easy transition from Unix to using Linux and I can't think of any real improvements necessary. If anything, I actually like check config better than system CTL.

For improvements or additional features, it would be nice for it to integrate better into two in ones. If you wanted to go to the desktop computer side of things, it lags behind in that you need to go to something like Fedora to get all the extra bells and whistles.

I used the product for 10 years.

The product is stable.

The product scaled very well. The only issues that we have ever really had was in relation to the Oracle database that we're running.

I previously used VMware and then Citrix. We made the switch predominantly because we wanted to consolidate licensing. We were using Citrix for our VDI environment and it made sense to shift from VMware to Citrix Zen because the licensing for the actual ZenServer was embedded within our DDI license. It made no sense actually licensing a product that we could actually utilize within our existing license. When you look at the budgetary figures and everything like that, VM ware is not exactly light on the back pocket.

For me, the initial setup was fairly straightforward and because I've been using it for so long I was able to do it myself. In terms of initial deployment, I was able to run up five DMs running Red Hat with Oracle database within a week.

Several options were evaluated. I need to keep up to date on all technical offerings on the market, so it was really about doing a product comparison.

What other advice do I have?

I've always used separate hypervisors so it's difficult for me to give advice. I'm more familiar with the other products so I would rate this product a six out of 10.

More RHEV reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with VMware vSphere
Learn what your peers think about RHEV. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.