RHEV Review

Good compatibility and migration capabilities but lacks decent on-site support services in Malaysia

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy for us to deal with when comes to application migration and has good compatibility with multiple components. For example, we have Drupal, Magento and then Node.js. When we are looking at which particular solution to run or maybe the base system to support these components, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization is the perfect choice.

The solution offers flexibility in terms of computation scaling and resource allocation.

The platform is very stable.

The solution makes migration easy.

The management of the solution is very simple.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

The support is tricky in a few places. We're facing some challenges within Malaysia where we don't really have the system integrators available who can provide extended support. When we need personnel on-site, we can't get them.

Instead, we have to join in an online conference call and then bridge the connection with the principals, log in and then check and dump the data for troubleshooting purposes, etc.

We've been dealing with the solution for about 15 years now.

We can't really get on-site support here in Malaysia. It's a problem for us. When we need help, we need to do a conference call, but it's difficult for us and it's not an ideal situation.

The pricing is a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We still have Red Hat version five running on our environment.

We don't have Red Hat in Malaysia. We don't have direct contact with Red Hat. We have to go through either distributors or system integrators in order to get the product.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

I would recommend Red Hat virtualization to other customers who are actually looking into moving from a physical environment to virtualization environment. It will optimize their space utilization and their cost optimization.

More RHEV reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with VMware vSphere