Riverbed SteelCenter Aternity Review

Improvements to My Organization

Without a product that can store this type of data and give you a front end for analysis, you don't really have a lot of statistical knowledge about a problem. You might get user complaints about this or that, but this solution can tell you that there is an actual problem. It also tells you exactly what time the problem started happening and where it started happening.

Without a product that can do this, you don't really have eyes into that and you're just relying on help desk tickets and some guessing. Putting a time frame on when an issue started occurring is really helpful, then you can look at what changes were deduced in the environment at that time. You can really start analyzing the issue quickly.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for us is trend analysis, particularly with device-help type of events and computer help events, such as blue screens, application errors, and application crashes. It also gives us the ability to correlate that with different attributes, such as location or the Internet Explorer version or whatever comparisons we'd like to try to make to analyze our environment.

Room for Improvement

They have a lot of features built into the product, but it would be nice if they had some additional features that I think a lot of organizations would benefit from. For instance, I can see the location and computer model and I can see a bunch of different attributes. But one thing I can't see is the Internet Explorer version.

I'd also like to see some more use interface upgrades to make it easier for people to utilize. I think it's easy for a person like me, who uses the product daily, but it's not so easy for somebody who only intermittently uses the product to interface with it.

It has been stable, but I know they're planning some updates in the future to version 9, and that might really spin it around the other way. Future upgrades might really impact us.

For us, yes, it has been scalable, because we started off with a fairly small user base on a very large platform hardware-wise. We've never had to upgrade our hardware yet as we increased our user base.

As with most vendors, if you're troubleshooting a difficult issue, you have to break through the levels of troubleshooting to get to the really high-end engineers, and that can sometimes take some time.

The big trigger for us was that we have a lot of small offices. They don't have any IT presence and we wanted to really try to validate users' concerns and performance in those remote sites without actually having to send a tech there.

It's pretty straightforward.

Other Advice

Try to get implementation correct right-off-the-bat. Try to get some training sessions scheduled with Aternity and lock them down into helping you utilize the user interface.

1 Comment
Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employeesReal UserTOP 20

Is everyone aware that Aternity now has a User Forum on Riverbed?
You can find it on the Riverbed forumn under SteelCentral and then Aternity
The link is splash.riverbed.com/community/product-lines/steelcentral/steelcentral-aternity

17 July 17