Riverbed SteelCenter Aternity Review

Improvements to My Organization

If we have an application that appears to be causing problems, like if users are seeing slowness, we'll go back to Aternity and look at the data. From there we'll try to get info about where things might be going wrong and then send it to whichever team needs to take a look at it, such as the network team or the application team. It could be a desktop issue, in which case we can try to see at least where the problem is using Aternity.

Valuable Features

The item we use the most and what upper management wants is the SLA reports. It's a good summary of how the applications are performing over time from month to month.

Room for Improvement

We're two versions behind so some items have probably been taken care in the newer versions. In our current one, I think the workflow needs improvement. I wouldn't say our desktop is an issue to be able to click into it deeper and then move to where the problem is on the desktop site. From what I've seen in the demos of the newest version, have already improved on that.

On the server side we had a web app for a while, the web portal into the Aternity console would just freeze and crash, and then we had to reboot the servers and then it would come back up. I contacted support and they were able to find out what the problem was and we got it resolved.

We haven't grown all that much really as far as number of workstations. We are having more and more people jump into the console side of it and I don't think there's any issues there.

It's pretty good. Sometimes the response could may be a little better but overall it's pretty good.

This is the first solution we had.

I don't know because I wasn't involved with the initial setup. I came into it a little after the initial setup but I have done upgrades since then and those are done through support hours and Aternity just walked us through it. They remote into the machines and then we just let them do the upgrades for us, so I would say pretty simple then.

Other Advice

Make sure you're set up correctly. In order to get the actual full view of what's going on we would recommend to deploy the agent to all of your computers instead of just some of them.

The version that I've seen, the one thing it doesn't do which I don't know if it's really meant to do is that you're getting all the view from the client side but sometimes it's not possible to look on the server side at anything that's happening on that side of things. It's good to see what the users are seeing but doesn't do a great job of digging into what the problems could be on the backend. It'll kind of tell you if it's the backend or not but from there it's limited.

1 Comment
LarryReal UserTOP 20

Is everyone aware that Aternity now has a User Forum on Riverbed?
You can find it on the Riverbed forumn under SteelCentral and then Aternity
The link is splash.riverbed.com/community/product-lines/steelcentral/steelcentral-aternity

17 July 17