Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals Review

Dashboard allows for "single pane of glass" monitoring of application and network performance.

How has it helped my organization?

We can see problem trends before they affect customers and quickly drill down to where the issue is located. This eliminates support silos and allows various support teams to work together to quickly resolve the problem.

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features, including:

• Seamless interaction between the various products;
  • Ability to identify slow web pages, slow network/application transactions and drill down to offending packets, code, SQL statement, web service, network devices, or systems;
  • Dashboard allows for "single pane of glass" monitoring of application and network performance; and
  • Synthetic transactions, WMI and SNMP query capability.

What needs improvement?

• Product documentation and training need improvement. At one time, training was free and they supplemented training with road shows that helped users get more out of the product and, I think, helped Riverbed sell more products to the user community.
  • Riverbed should also add the NetFlow module back to AppResponse.
  • The recording mechanism for synthetic transactions could be improved as well.

We've had no issues with the stability.

RPM Dashboards can become unstable if too many items are added. This was supposedly fixed in Portal.

It's not as good as it was three years ago before meddling by an activist investor, privatization, and subsequent layoffs hurt support. They appear to be rebuilding but have a way to go.

We previously used something else and switched because Riverbed has faster problem resolution and the ability to see trends developing across the infrastructure. Many times what might have taken hours or days can be resolved in a few minutes.

It was mostly straightforward.

Negotiate with them.

What other advice do I have?

Include some consulting hours in the purchase for a quicker startup.

More Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals reviews from users