Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals Review

How has it helped my organization?

Cuts down on the time to resolve complicated application issues. We have been able to trace individual transactions to identify where the issue is whether in the application code, server or network.

What is most valuable?

Transaction Tracing is the most useful. Being able to have the transaction stitched together so we can see where the problem is has proven invaluable.

What needs improvement?

Support for PHP, DB and other applications need to be supported. We have a broad range of applications that we would like visibility into but the list of currently supported applications is very small.

We had no issues with stability of either the agent or console.

We don’t have any scalability issues but we also do not have a large install base, yet.

9/10 - we had a couple of issues that required opening up tickets. The Riverbed support engineers usually resolve issues in a timely manner.

I didn't use anything similar to this in the past.

The initial setup was pretty straightforword. We watched the installation videos and read the documentation to prepare. The two issues we ran into were permissions of the installation account to the folder structure and the agent not being supported on particular OS versions.

It’s pricey. The licensing changed from v9 to v10. The licensing model for v9 is better where it is an individual license per server, while v10 licenses are per JVM/ .NET and server instance. The latter model appears to be the model that other APM vendors are using.

This solution was chosen prior to my joining the company.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation and watch as many videos as you can. Also verify that your application servers OS support the agent.

More Riverbed SteelCentral AppInternals reviews from users