Riverbed Steelhead Review

User friendly, stable, and good exchange replication

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to optimize traffic between our vastly geographically dispersed offices.

What is most valuable?

I find the most valuable to be the compression and exchange replication. It is very useful, user friendly, and the documentation manuals are helpful.

What needs improvement?

They should include a network switch in a future release.

I have been using this solution for 15 years.

The stability has been good.

The scalability is not the best. If you find that you have outgrown the capacity of your appliance you are forced to repurchase the license and the appliance with very little discount even if your appliance is still under contract.

The customer service is quite professional and helpful.

When I first purchased this solution it was the first of its kind. There was no other option.

I have 15 years of experience with this product. When I first did the install it was hard, but now it is very easy.

I did the deployment myself and do the maintenance. It does not take very long.

The solution is expensive and the service contacts are costly too. The cost of the device makes the value proposition borderline acceptable for us. The service contract fees we pay is approximately $30,000 annually.

We are approximately midway to the life cycle of our current products and I do not think I will be rebuying Riverbed just because of the cost. Silver Peak is one of the other solutions we have been looking at, carries a lower cost, and has some additional options such as SD-WAN.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to do tests and make sure they really need the product before purchasing it because it is expensive.

I rateRiverbed Steelhead a seven out of ten.

9.10
More Riverbed Steelhead reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with Silver Peak NX
Find out what your peers are saying about Riverbed, Cisco, Citrix and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.