Riverbed Steelhead Review

Valuable Features

• Easy deployment
  • Fantastic bandwidth optimization
  • Low maintenance requirements

Improvements to My Organization

It's improved the stability and throughput of the WAN, especially for remote small branches with low link speed. Reduced impact to network performance from Windows updates deployment on users PCs.

Room for Improvement

Better logic of the web GUI.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for three years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

We had some stability problems with a few devices. Probably RAM leaking issue by some processes which caused problem with remote access to the devices trough SSH or web.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

I haven't had much experience with Riverbed Technical Support since our devices are managed by outsourcing company.

We previously used Cisco WAAS solution.

The deployment of the Riverbed products is very easy and straightforward.

Implementation Team

I implemented it myself. The advice is just to follow the vendor instructions.

Other Solutions Considered

Other Advice

Check your network requirements before deploying one of the Riverbed devices. CX255M is more than enough for most of the branch sites with 10-50 people.

1 Comment
Senior Network Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employeesReal User

When you are have issues gaining access to the remote Steelhead, check the remote site WAN router for link saturation. This is the only time I have had a hard time connecting to a remote Steelhead. I found that by using Steelhead Inbound QoS to reduce Scavenger Traffic (YouTube, Facebook, ESPN, etc) to reasonable levels (10% or so) you will find a much more responsive remote Steelhead.

04 May 16