Rohde & Schwarz Oscilloscopes Review

It has a low noise floor, but the user interface could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use it for phase noise analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

The noise floor for reference clocks is pretty low, so this instrument is able to measure it where others cannot.

What is most valuable?

The noise sensitivity: It has a low noise floor.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, e.g., the documentation on the menus. I have to open a separate document to figure out the functionality sometimes. Some primaries are unclear and the limitations are sometimes unclear, then you have to go ask customer support. So, it would be better if the documentation was more easily accessible (not lacking).

We are not utilizing the full bandwidth of the product. We will utilize the full bandwidth eventually, but not in the near future, probably in a few years.

It is not field upgradable. Usually, you just have to buy a new instrument.

The technical support is good. They are pretty responsive. We usually contact them by e-mail and they respond quite quickly.

This product was advertised by them. They demoed it for us. That is how we evaluated, bought, and purchased it.

During the demo, we learned the limitations on what it can measure. We demoed for both units for approximately two weeks.

The pricing is way too expensive.

The noise sensitivity was better with Rohde & Schwarz, and the only competitor that we know of is KeySight and their PXA product.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the features that it has. It is very unclear if you first use the product, like what exactly every button is doing.

It was not that big of a learning curve. It took maybe a week. It was pretty easy.

The application space that this solution targets is high-speed serials.