Rohde & Schwarz Oscilloscopes Review

What is our primary use case?

We are using their VNA for our RFSoC PCB design guideline and EVBs.

The application targets on 5G and high speed transceiver applications. We care much about the noise floor and crosstalk. With this machine, it's easier for us to debug or clarify where the noise source could be because of its accuracy.

How has it helped my organization?

For the RF application, we care much about the crosstalk on our device and PCBs. Generally, what we can do with the other vendor's product is four-port measurement. It's a bit complicated for us and time consuming to combine all the crosstalk measurement together in a  unified model. However, with this VNA, it is much easier because of its eight ports configuration.

It's very stable because everything is done at the same time. This means within the test condition environment, everything is the same. This has increased accuracy and dramatically saved a lot of our time.

We can do more experiments with this product than using other VNAs which have less ports.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its wide bandwidth and 8 ports. These are very important for us to do the crosstalk evaluation, and they came in at very good price.

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The GUI could be improved since the hierarchy is a little complicated for the new users. It would be good if the frequently used configurations in the calibration setup such as the signal power, phsical bandwidth etc. could be moved to one editable table. And users can access to the table by clicking a quick link button in the desk top of the GUI.

Very stable.

For transceiver applications, the bandwidth is a bit narrower. The bandwidth of the VNA is around 20 GHZ, and for the 58G and 112G applicaitons,the measurements require much higher bandwidth. However, for our main product, the scope still works fine.

The technical support is really good. In the very beginning, we had some problem with their Ecal because of the connector type is different. So, their expert in the factory gave us a very prompt support, explaining everything, and I enjoyed that they told the truth. They told us the flaws in the accounts and the limit of the whole machine, so we understood what we were doing. This gave us a bottom line in terms of the accuracy and reliability.

We did do a demo before purchasing.

When we chose this, the price was really reasonable, and it is a high-end product. It had a high price, but we understood that because it had 8 port, the same noise floor (as the competition) with double the measurement capabilities and a cheaper price.

Yes. We compared a lot based on cost and support. We chose Rohde & Schwartz based on their long history in the RF application. Also, there is high correlation between different products, and our customers are using Rohde & Schwartz's products (which is good because we want to use the same platforms to do the same tests).