RSA Authentication Manager Review

​Deployment is very fast, but delivering the address labels of where tokens are to be sent should be delivered by email

Valuable Features

The self service token deployment combined with administrative rolls gives you a lot of flexibility as a Managed SP.

Improvements to My Organization

In 2005 we started with a managed authentication service for three small companies with each having approx. 250 users. Now, we have 25 large enterprises/government departments, with over 150,000 authenticating users with an uptime of nearly 100% over the last five years. Our managed authentication offering is one where we provide stable redundant server systems in our datacenters spread over the Netherlands. The customer buys tokens and maintains & administers their own users. Risk based authentication is great to keep costs low and security high.

Room for Improvement

The reporting needs to be improved, and they should be delivered by email. Also, delivering the address labels of where tokens are to be sent should be delivered by email too. I have had to add scripts and programs to run query for address labels to have them sent by email.

Use of Solution

I’m a longterm user. Starting with Security Dynamics SecurID v4 in 1996, when I worked for Olivetti, selling a two factor authentication solution to our customers. At the end of the 1990’s, the product changed name from Security Dynamics into RSA Security which was acquired by EMC around 2007.

Deployment is very fast compared with previous versions.

Very stable.

Scalable to millions of users worldwide.

Customer service is done by the support team of the customer itself, or on their behalf by KPN.

RSA tech support is rated 7/10.

KPN also supports Vasco, but with less enthusiasm. It’s more difficult to use and has higher costs.

The initial setup of Authentication Manager 8.1 instance is very straight forward. All extra scripts and software we have developed is copied as described in our manuals. A total setup for a new customer is done within eight hours, including self service configuration settings according the information collected during the intake.

Implementation Team

We do it ourselves and are RSA Certified Engineers with years of experience.

ROI

The ROI for customers is less than one year when using hardware tokens, with software tokens it's less and with risk based authentication it's even lower.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes we also evaluated Vasco, but it’s less profitable.

Other Advice

Just try it and take the four days course.