RSA Identity Governance and Lifecycle Review

A reliable solution with some technical flaws that need to be addressed

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to automate lifecycle governance and for role-based access control administration.

Within our organization, there are 50,000 active users, using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The governance aspect in general is great.

What needs improvement?

This solution lacks a closed-loop, which causes issues. If on one day (by a single user) multiple requests as submitted, it won't calculate them correctly.

Another feature we would like to see out of the box is the preventive segregation of duties. These are two features that could greatly help a business.

Also, the user interface could be slightly improved.

What's very good about the product is that they understand the difference between target environments (like an active directory), and business applications running on it. There are identity and access management vendors who don't know the difference between the target systems and the business applications that run on it. SailPoint, for example, they believe that the most fine-grained owner is on the active directory, but that's not the case. On an active directory, if you look at a bank, for example, there can be a mortgage application and a credit card application and then loan applications with different owners. That is known by the RSA, but the UI is a bit cumbersome. You have to hop from one tab to the other to find complete overviews of what you are looking for. So that could be better. And the reporting coming out of it, that could also be better.

I have been using this solution for roughly 10 years.

The solution is pretty stable. If you don't factor the performance into the stability, then it's stable, it doesn't crash or collapse. But the performance is not the best.

The scalability could be better. I think that big companies with lots of roles and membership connections will experience some issues.

The technical support could be better. If you submit an issue, you shouldn't be surprised if it takes them a long time to get back to you.

Overall, deployment took us one year — everything included. Basic deployment is just plug-and-play, but then you have to define workflows, forms, processes. So the technical deployment is easy, it's piece of cake. And that's with most products. But I know from the SailPoint products, for example, is that you need lots of BeanShell code to deploy it because, out of the box, it doesn't do anything. But with the RSA product, although the deployment is easy, you still have to convert your old administration into the new, and we use the .Net application, Homegrown, and that has to be converted to the tool; proper workflows need to be designed and then, all-in-all, a year.

We also had the help of an integrator.

I don't know the price off the top of my head, but I do know that it's not an expensive product. There are many more expensive products on the market, so the pricing is good.

Whether you should use this solution or not depends on the size of your company. If you are a mid-sized company, who's also in the middle range of being mature or not, then you could go for this product. I work in a global company, we are in 45 countries and we earn lots of money so we can afford highly-trained personnel. But if you're a mid-sized company, then your finances are also a bit mid-sized. So for those companies who are not that complex, then financially-wise, it's a good product.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of six.

More RSA Identity Governance and Lifecycle reviews from users