Rubrik Go Review

Offers hardware upgrades but the reporting could be improved

What is our primary use case?

I'm a solutions engineer working for a distributor company in the Philippines. Our clients are generally medium to enterprise size. The product is quite expensive it's so not suitable for small companies. We have deployed to about nine companies in the past couple of years and it's usually only the backup administrator that deals with the product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature with Rubrik is that even though the data is already in the cloud, it's an AWS, so by accessing the on-prem appliance you can still search because it is indexed from that appliance. It can be restored from cloud directly to your Rubrik or to the terminal unit or server. With other similar solutions that the competitors produce, the granular file-level restoration requires restoration of the whole image.

Rubrik also provides hardware upgrades. If you're subscribed and there's a new model or new generation of Rubrik, they will replace the old with the new.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues with the product is that you cannot postpone a specific backup job. If you try to do that, every backup job is paused. It's a global pause, not just a specific object-level pause. I would like to see them include a feature that would allow me to pause per object level because if you pause the backup now, it pauses global branding backups. Also, reporting could be improved. For now, it's only exported to CSB files. It would be better if it were a PDF and would save having to transfer from a CSB file.

I've been using this product for about three years.

Having used the product for three years, it's stable. The usual warranty of an appliance is three years so things might change in the next year or two.

It's scalable but as I said earlier, if you want to scale up, you need to add additional appliances.

The technical support is good, it's a free call home feature. If it's an urgent issue they will upgrade you to priority status and will contact you very quickly to assist. It's very good.

To deploy the product is quite simple. It only takes about 15 minutes. If a customer has carried out vulnerability assessments and testing, then any issues are sorted out before deployment.

In terms of appliances, there isn't any complex licensing. Extra costs are related to capacity. If you need to archive your data in the cloud, that would involve an additional license fee.

It's an expensive product. Most of the target customers are from major vendor-based enterprise companies but on the other hand, each appliance comes with a good warranty.

What other advice do I have?

Rubrik is a backup or cloud data management company but they are now focusing on the security side and are including data classification. I don't know if that's a good thing. I always recommend the version prior to the latest one. If there are any issues with bugs or something isn't quite right in the latest version, you can avoid the trouble.

Cloud is still new in the Philippines and many companies are still not using it. Most of our clients here use private cloud but some are using AWS rather than Microsoft Azure.

This is a good product if you're using VMware but if you're using physical objects on Microsoft Hyper-V it's quite difficult because they don't have good integration with Microsoft.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10