Rubrik Review

An easy initial setup, very stable, and offers a very fast recovery process

What is most valuable?

The instant recovery aspect of the solution is the most valuable aspect for me. It can recover the entire VMO database within five seconds. It's really quick. The database can be recovered on the local backup machine disk, and then brought up by the virtual machines.

Of course, afterwards, you need to refresh your vMotion back to the original storage area. That takes a long time, maybe hours, however, the instant recovery portion only takes seconds to recover on the SSD hard disc.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it was cheaper and cost us less to use.

The solution could be more user friendly. The current UI could be improved considerably, which would make it more comfortable to navigate.

The solution needs Continuous Data, or CDP. It may be that we don't have it because we have an older version. It may be on version 5.2 or 5.3 already.

The solution needs to be more secure and needs to better protect against ransomware.

I've been using the solution, at this point, for about one and a half years.

The solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I believe the solution can scale pretty well. I haven't actually tried it out at our organization, therefore, it's hard to say for sure.

There only a couple of admin personnel on the solution at our company.

We have dealt with technical support in the past. In fact, we have three open cases right now. They've been pretty good in terms of the service they provide. They are responsive and are able to fix the problems we have.

Before we began using Rubrik, we used to use HP Data Protector. We decided to switch due to the fact that the HP solution we had was getting to be too old and we realized simply upgrading it would have cost us quite a bit of money.

The old solution we had was using a tape library to backup the data and it took too long to backup all the data on the tape. We were trying to find another better way or faster way to backup our data source. That's why we ultimately chose Rubrik.

We found the initial setup to be very straightforward. It wasn't complex for us in any way.

The deployment process took a few hours. It didn't take too long.

The cost of the solution is quite high. It's not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Rubrik.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using, however, it may be a variation of version five.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it had a friendlier user interface, I would probably rate it higher.

More Rubrik reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Rubrik. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.