Rubrik Review

You can set up policies by resource pools, clusters, and folders. The array can support high workloads.

What is most valuable?

It has a quick setup and then it is hands-off. It’s a backup product, and you want to set it up and forget about it. For the VMware side, you can set up policies by resource pools, clusters, and folders. This helps with the "set up and forget" process. They have added physical servers (Windows and Linux), plus SQL. This is a huge plus as everything can be managed under one policy.

How has it helped my organization?

VM backups are common and there are a lot of vendors. The thing that sets Rubrik apart is the instant recovery feature. While other vendors have this, the storage is on you. In my case, this storage was always on a cheap disk. With Rubrik, you get an array that can support high workloads until you have a main window from which you can migrate the VM back to production storage.

Replication is also great. With one click of a button, you can replicate between Rubrik devices and public cloud storage.

What needs improvement?

The reporting can be vague, especially when something is failing. AD integration is cumbersome. For highly compliant environments, Rubrik does not patch the IPMI firmware on a regular basis. Be aware that you should design the roll-out with this in mind. Otherwise, your security teams will be calling about vulnerabilities that they can reach.

We have used this solution for over two years.

There have not been any stability issues.

There have not been any scalability issues. This is one of the pluses and a driver for buying Rubrik. If you need backups to run faster, or if you need more storage, you just add another node or Brik.

The technical support is good. They will escalate quickly if it is needed.

We had other solutions before this one. We used Veeam and VMware backups. We left Veeam due to storage management. VMware backups were not as feature rich as Veeam or Rubrik.

The installation is straightforward. You fill out the sheet with names and IPs, and Rubrik sets it all up. However, it does use a lot of network ports, at least one 10-gigabit and one 1-gigabit port per node. That adds up quickly with multiple Briks that can have four nodes each.

Make sure you create different networks and segmentation. The IPMI 1-gigabit networks need to be locked down and not allow other networks to be routed to them.

Understand what you really need to backup. Do you need a backup, or can you use storage snaps? Run their PoC trial. It will give you a good idea of what your compression will look like and it will allow you to estimate the size you need.

We used Veeam and VMware before. We also looked at Commvault.

What other advice do I have?

Understand what you want to backup. Rubrik makes it very easy to go in and back up everything, but that might not be in your budget.

2 Comments
author avatarChris Childerhose
TOP REVIEWERELITE SQUADReal User

Great review. We are pursuing Rubrik hopefully later this year to implement it possibly for a new retention policy. Love how it works and have seen it many times.

author avatarNathan Monk
TOP 5POPULARReal User

Great review! I am happy to update that Reporting has gotten better in their newer code releases (3.0 & 4.0). In regards to the security scans, we only found issue with standard ports and configuration on the IPMIs, which was easily fixable. Have you found other security concerns that have been a bigger headache to deal with?