Rubrik Review

The system is able to determine when it is the best time to do backups. This is SLA-driven.

What is our primary use case?

We were operating more than 10 different backup products company-wide and none of them were doing the job correctly. While reviewing the market, I found Rubrik. They were small at the time, and have since acquired a lot of credibility. The first PoC was a real success. We decided to start with them at the end of 2017. We were amazed by the product's simplicity and performance.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the backup/restore process by a factor of a 1000. Now, we are sure what we have on our system is an exact image of what it was at the time of backup. Restoration validation is piece of cake. This is all new to us.

What is most valuable?

With Rubrik, there is backup window to manage. The system is able to determine when it is the best time to do backups. This is SLA-driven, and if it is not possible to maintain this SLA, the system will tell you too.

What needs improvement?

It needs to support more applications natively, like MySQL/MariaDB

Put more attention on the physical world. They already support it bit, but I would love to see endpoint protection.

Still implementing.

The platform is completely stable. We have never a crash.

So far, so good.

Customer support is very efficient. It is very similar to Nutanix, in my opinion.

We tried Veeam, which could be a valid alternative, except:

• You still need storage (Rubrik provides a turnkey solution).
  • You need a Windows license (Rubrik is Linux-based).
  • You still need to manage jobs (Rubrik is SLA-based).

The initial setup is easy. I created a blog post about it.

I did everything by myself.

It is hard to tell so far.

Rubrik is not cheap. Hopefully, you can archive your data on cheap storage to keep the investment minimal.

Veeam was considered, but dismissed.

What other advice do I have?

Do not be afraid to go with newcomers. Rubrik is a fast growing company, and there is a reason for it: They understand the business!