Rubrik Review

Mounting recent backups drastically cuts down required time. This solution features a file search across all backups

What is our primary use case?

We use Rubrik as a secondary recovery method for our Tier 1 applications and the primary recovery method for our Tier 2 and below applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The time it takes to manage Rubrik across our entire multi-site environment takes considerably less time that it has taken in the past to manage a single location. With Rubrik's integration into VMware, we don't have to worry about unprotected new servers or changes made to existing servers.

What is most valuable?

The file search feature across all backups has been helpful. The surprising use has been mounting recent backups to create new servers rather than cloning servers in VMware, which drastically cut down required time.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting failed backups is not what it should be. Once you gather logs, deciphering them without the help of support is usually almost impossible. However, support is great in that regard.

None whatsoever.

The only issue we have run into is the sizing of the Virtual Edge devices. In retrospect, we sized incorrectly and ran into the limits of the virtual device. If we had setup a physical cluster, we would not have had any issues at all.

We used EMC Avamar for many years. Cost and support were key reasons for the switch.

Initially we save several hundred thousand dollars on purchase/licensing. However the true ROI is hard to calculate when you start to look at the quality of the services/support offered.

Within a couple of days of a proof of concept, you'll be convinced that what they have been telling you is true. The sales team was great in putting together a thorough cost comparison.

The scope of our requirements limited the playing field. We did look at solutions like Veeam and Unitrends. However, we settled rather quickly with Rubrik.

What other advice do I have?

A proof of concept will answer all of your questions and sell itself.