Rubrik Review

A Google-like file search, system scaling, and a frequent development cycle are some positives that this solution offers

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP and offer Rubrik as a backup service to customers on private and public cloud environments and internally managed environments. We run the solution against VMware and Hyper-V with minimal physical systems.

Currently, there is no support for image-level backups on systems in Azure and AWS from Rubrik. Presently we use agent-level backups however this is not ideal for fast whole system recovery. The next version (4.2) has support for image backups, and this will be investigated for functionality when released.

How has it helped my organization?

The legacy backup solution required large capital expenditure upfront and was not easy to scale, required a high degree of technical expertise to operate, and featured time-consuming upgrades which required a lot of troubleshooting post-upgrade. The system also had many limitations around the number of concurrent hot mount operations.

Rubrik, on the other hand, is very easy to scale, can be operated by junior staff, and upgrades to date have been seamless. Each time we add a Brik we gain additional backup and restore performance. They claim performance at up to 30k IOPS per Brik, however, I suspect the actual figure to be below that. Having said that, we can instantly recover an entire customer's environment in minutes and run happily on the system until a storage vMotion is completed to production storage without any issues.

Google-like file search is another invaluable tool to quickly find and restore files directly to your browser. This feature has saved significant time for end users who can’t remember where they saved a file.

What is most valuable?

• Google-like file search
  • System scaling
  • Ease of use/upgrade/addition of capacity.
  • Frequent development cycle which is typically 3 months between feature releases.
  • Direct feedback to product managers is invaluable, features we have requested are typically added to the next product release.
  • Product support team is excellent, with issues typically being resolved the same day.
  • Although not in large-scale use at the moment, the ability to convert a VMware image backup to an EC2 instance will be of great use moving forward to provide disaster recovery to the cloud when required.

What needs improvement?

• Global management of multiple systems is lacking, as is reporting across multiple installed units. This is presently a development item in the Polaris platform, however the current capabilities do not justify the price tag.
  • MFA/SAML support to improve security for login to the backup system.
  • Image-level backup for Azure and AWS with storage held outside of the Azure/AWS account so that if an account breach does occur backups and primary data would not be compromised in a single attack.

Less than one year.

Avamar with Data Domain, which was expensive and hard to manage, and had poor product updates.

The initial setup was done in one to two hours, with racking the equipment being the most time-consuming part of the install.

If you are unsure, get a POC unit and see how easy backups can be to manage, and how easy restores are.

Veeam, Avamar, and Cohesity.

1 Comment
Shane SlosarVendor

Thanks for sharing - Isn't more than two weeks for a feature release long in a SaaS world? Three months seems crazy long. I would compare with Druva.

11 September 19