Rubrik Review

Managing backups is much easier now; it's no longer a full-time role in our organization

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up of all of our infrastructure and file servers. The environment we're protecting with Rubrik is 99 percent virtual. We back up file servers, databases — SQL. Most of them are virtual machines in vSphere.

The deployment model is a hybrid where we have the solution on-prem, plus we back up to the cloud, on AWS.

How has it helped my organization?

The SLA-based policy automation has made my life a lot easier because, on the administration side, things are way easier to manage. They're not as convoluted as other systems. Once I add a virtual machine to one of the SLA policies, it does its own thing and, at the end of the day, it's backing up stuff correctly. There's very little day-to-day maintenance that I have to do as an administrator.

In general, day-to-day, it's made the administration of backups way easier. We went from having management of the backup system as full-time role for somebody to now being a role where we just basically just look at the reports and make sure that everything is running correctly and smoothly. We don't have to constantly log in to the system and rerun jobs. Rubrik has made life so much easier and simpler in terms of backing up our file system and VMs.

In addition, the solution's predictive search — searching just for specific files within one of the backup sets — works great. We're able to quickly and easily find files when need be. It has definitely improved on the time it takes to find and recover files. In our old system it took quite a bit of time, with indexing the files and trying to do a search. Now, the search is basically instantaneous. We use it not only to recover files, but even if there are any questions about where a specific file is located, or if somebody moved a file. We're able to do quick searches and see where the file was moved to.

Rubrik has also tremendously reduced the time spent on recovery testing because it's way simpler. More people can actually do it. Before, we had one or two people dedicated to that, whereas now, it's so user-friendly that we can have multiple people do it. It has reduced our recovery testing time by a good 50 to 70 percent.

Overall it has greatly reduced the time it takes to manage backups, again by 50 to 75 percent. In terms of reducing downtime, I haven't really had to deal with any major crises, but for restores, it has also improved that tremendously, by 50 percent at least.

We're able to focus on different things, more than just backups and trying to restore and recover files. We're able to spend more time on other production or testing which come along within our environment.

What is most valuable?

The Live Mount is one of the most valuable features Rubrik has. It gives me an opportunity to run DR testing. For any patching or DR testing that I need to do, I'm able to run it as if it were my production system but, in reality, it's just a copy of my production system.

The web interface is great. The GUI is pretty good. It's very user-friendly, easy to manage, easy to understand, even for somebody who is not familiar with the system.

The archival functionality has been working great for us as well. We archive to the cloud with AWS and there have been no hiccups, no issues whatsoever.

What needs improvement?

One of the great things that it offers us is simplicity, but at the same time, it would be great if it had a couple of different features that robust products might have. For example, being able to restore add-calls only, instead of restoring entire files and folders would be helpful.

Another feature that the product can improve on is being able to restore Active Directory at a more granular level. For example, it would be good if we could restore actual memberships for users instead of the entire server.

In addition, I wish they had more GUI-integrated solutions, instead of PowerShell. I would like that interface to be a little bit more in-depth and to have more features. They're not missing features, because you can do them through PowerShell, but I wish that I could do some of those things more easily through the web interface instead. For example, if you want to pause a single backup system, you can't do that through the web interface. Through the web interface you either pause all the backups or none. But if I do it through PowerShell, I can pause just one system.

I've been using Rubrik for almost two years.

So far, the stability has been great. No issues whatsoever.

The scalability has been great as well. We have actually scaled up already. We got a few new bricks and it's been extremely easy to implement and manage.

I've used technical support a few times and they've always been great, very responsive, including on weekends. They have even been proactive and have automatically opened up a ticket when they see something fail.

We were using Commvault and we switched because we needed to scale it. We decided to look at other solutions and Rubrik was a great change of pace.

The initial setup was really straightforward. From start to finish, from unboxing the product to setting it up, took us about half-a-day, through to getting our first full backup completed. The deployment itself only took about two hours and then, within three to four hours, we already had the first full backup.

Our original strategy was for testing purposes with a few file servers, but it has become a system that replaced our production system.

We did it with the help of one of the systems engineers from Rubrik. Our experience with them was great.

We've seen ROI, not in terms of raw numbers, but in terms of what I said before. Productivity has gone up because we're able to spend less time on daily operations for backups.

There are no additional costs to the standard licensing fees.

We looked at a few other solutions briefly, but once we did a PoC with Rubrik we decided to go with it. We found it to be a good product and fit what we needed it to do. We had other solutions in-house that could have done backups, so we didn't really need to do a lot of PoCs or testing. It was a pretty straightforward decision for us.

The advantage of Rubrik is the ease of use and the extensive feature set it has. But it's the lack of some features, because the product is so simple to use, that is a drawback.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product. In terms of the biggest lesson I've learned from using, it's that the product can do a lot more than what it's designed to do in the web, but you need to know PowerShell a lot better.

Do a quick PoC. They are great with PoCs and showing customers how well the features work. So I would suggest that people take advantage of that.

We have about seven users of the system itself and they're all systems engineers. For deployment and maintenance of the solution we really just need one person, a systems engineer.