Ruckus Wireless Review

Provides good roaming capabilities and the option to have redundant backup controllers

What is our primary use case?

We are a big church, so we have to cover a 100,000 square foot building plus another 3,000 square foot building. We have Ruckus Wireless in two locations. We are on Zone Director 1200.

Our other office is running over a VPN, so it keeps connected to the Zone Director via VPN for any information that is needed, but it still works. The nice part is that they work on the internet connection that is local to the office that they are in. They work independently. Nothing comes through the controller. They just use the controller to authenticate and know what is going on with the unit.

What is most valuable?

Its roaming capabilities and the fact that we can have redundant backup controllers are the most valuable. There is a backup controller that is heart beated to the primary. It is also fairly easy to install.

What needs improvement?

Its interface could be a little bit more user friendly.

I have been using Ruckus Wireless for six or seven years.

Its stability has been acceptable.

I have contacted them. So far, so good. There are no major issues with them. They have been pretty responsive.

We used SonicPoint, which is with SonicWall. The only reason for switching was that it wasn't their main thing. They were more of a firewall, and they had it as a secondary thing. We needed something that was much more robust with more capabilities per access point. We have 250 or more people on an access point.

The initial setup was easy.

We paid for a three-year contract last year. I am not sure about what we paid. It is certainly less expensive than Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise looking at the cloud version. If we had not renewed our licensing for the standalone, we would probably look at going with the cloud solution because it is easy to support.

I would rate Ruckus Wireless an eight out of ten.

10.1.00
More Ruckus Wireless reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
Learn what your peers think about Ruckus Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.