Ruckus Wireless Review
​BeamFlex works well in changing environments, bouncing WiFi signals around obstacles​

What is our primary use case?

We are a Ruckus Big Dog reseller. We sell and install into small retail shops that want to market their free public WiFi hotspot, manufacturing environments where new obstacles are constantly introduced, offices that need LAN-like WiFi, hotels, and event centers that need high capacity installations with 200-500 people per AP.

How has it helped my organization?

It requires very little maintenance (unlike competitive products we have sold) and provides a consistently great WiFi environment.

What is most valuable?

BeamFlex works great in changing environments by bouncing WiFi signals around obstacles.

What needs improvement?

They need more products in the lower-end range for smaller clients.

More than five years.

Very stable. We have this in very dense environments (like stadiums and manufacturing floors). The only issue we had is that Apple devices hate band-steering so you should setup separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs.

No issues with scalability. The product scales very well and eliminates co-channel interference. Very easy to add licenses to the controller to scale larger or add redundant controllers.

Technical support is about a seven out of 10.  Not bad, but not wow. Better than most. We don’t need support often.

• Cisco enterprise - expensive and complicated, more APs needed to cover an area.
  • HPE Colubris - unreliable.

Pretty straightforward, if you know what you’re doing with wireless. The only thing that is tricky is understanding that the controller does not get installed on a trunk port (different than most other solutions).

Pricing is very competitive for an enterprise solution.

Licensing: Always carry the support contract on the controller (not needed on APs).

Just about everything out there. It was between Ruckus and Aerohive, but ultimately, Ruckus BeamFlex performed better with our testing (fewer APs needed, worked around obstacles in changing warehouse environments, supported high density).

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product, excellent technology that requires fewer access points than competitors, it's easy to manage, and cost competitive (compared with other enterprise WiFi solutions).

Try it by using the virtual controller or the unleashed product (controller equivalent on an AP).