Ruckus Wireless WAN Review

A reasonably priced solution that is easy to set up and expand

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide network access points.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of adding an access point. Even a kid can do it. If the zone director is set up then adding an access point would just require it be accepted using the MAC address, and that's it.

What needs improvement?

User access control is done through a third-party, RADIUS, which is not an easy system for IT professionals to use. It is used by larger enterprises, so if you want to deploy on a small to medium scale then you definitely require integration from Microsoft.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with other products. Integration with AirMagnet, the design software, would be good because it takes the layout of a building and positions the access points accordingly, based on the areas and the construction materials. Active integration with AirMagnet would be very useful.

There should be support for a local database in the zone directory for people who do not want to use the RADIUS access server.

I have been working with Ruckus Wireless WAN for two and a half years.

This solution is very stable.

This is a very scalable solution where adding an access point is trivial.

Our customers are small to medium in size and include organizations such as hotels and large offices.

I am happy with the technical support. They are responsive and the turnaround time is good.

The initial setup is very easy, although that is not the important part. It's about the distribution of access points based on where wireless coverage is needed and also trying to minimize the number and size of blind points. Blind points are those places where the wireless signal is very weak or doesn't exist. The map has to be designed using third-party software, of course.

This is a wonderful product for the price.

I have evaluated solutions from both Cisco and Aruba. Ruckus does not outperform Cisco or Aruba, but they are in the same league for a much smaller price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to get a good system integrator. Specifically, the people who design the wireless network. You want to have a good design professional who will optimize the cost and give you the best office solution.

Overall, this is a good product that is reasonably priced.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More Ruckus Wireless WAN reviews from users
...who compared it with Aruba Networks Wireless WAN
Find out what your peers are saying about Ruckus, Ubiquiti Networks, Cambium Networks and others in Wireless WAN. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.