Sage People Review

Customisation is one of the most valuable features of the product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the product are customisation, global policies & patterns, absence management, action emails, and workflow. The product is really easy to customise and configure, and the automation has enabled us to manage several HR processes at the right time in the correct manner.

How has it helped my organization?

Managing starters, leavers, absences, PTO, probation, fixed-term contracts: All these processes are managed via Fairsail.

What needs improvement?

Reporting module: It would be good to have a provision to share specific reports with users without giving them access to full system and data; to be able to attach reports to emails as Excel files. I believe we will soon have the Manager Reports functionality; looking forward to that.

Being able to apply certain policies and patterns on a date-tracked basis; e.g., for international transfers or special arrangements.

In comparison with other HRIS reporting tools (like Discoverer / OBIEE for Oracle, Business Objects, Crystal Reports etc. which I have used extensively for over 10 years); I think that Fairsail’s reports functionality is quite limited and only available for Administrator profiles. And in that space, it’s not possible to limit data access based of function or areas.

For example, if we wanted to create a report for EMEA region only for our EMEA Recruitment Team, they would get full admin access with no restriction to stop them from editing the filter to bring up full company data.
Similarly, if we wanted to create a report for Sales HRBP, they would be able to edit the report to take away the filter and access data for other areas as well.
The new WX Reports feature will provide some reporting capability for managers to extract data in their hierarchy only and will address this issue to some extent but is not suitable for users who are not managers and need reports to support various functional areas.

The second issue is the delivery mechanism of scheduled reports - the entire data is embedded in the body of the email and therefore cannot be utilized for sensitive data or large data sets. There is no way to deliver the report as an excel attachment. Payflow reports are supposed to be an option but quite complex to set up if the inclusion criteria is complex with several filters.

Personally, I have been using Fairsail for 2.5 years. The business implemented this in 2012.

We have never encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. It’s suitable for our size of business (<500 heads currently and not expecting to grow exponentially in the foreseeable future).

Technical support is 10/10.

We did not previously use a different solution.

I wasn’t in the business at that time so I’m unable to give first-hand feedback. However, I believe we were the initial customers of the product and did have some start-up hiccups.

The product has developed a lot since then and I suppose those who are implementing it now will have an easier and much more advanced experience.

Pricing is very economical and there are great flexible licencing provisions to suit small businesses.

I believe other options were evaluated; however, since I wasn’t in the business at that time, I do not have this information.

What other advice do I have?

Carry out a detailed review of the processes and requirements before implementation, and involve technical staff along with HR before finalising the schema.