Salesforce Marketing Cloud Review

I found the script functionality and the cloud pages to be very useful.

What is most valuable?

For me, having a developer mindset, I found the script functionality and the cloud pages to be very useful.

How has it helped my organization?

I automated the creation of almost everything in the platform using scripts and cloud pages to make life easier for the deployment team.

What needs improvement?

There are a few bugs here and there, but nothing bad. The platform is pretty robust. One thing to improve would be the error messages which aren't very helpful.

We have been using this solution for more than two years now.

Deployments are fine, unless there is a human error.

The platform is quite stable, but the platform updates have made some issues in the past.

Salesforce Marketing Cloud platform is able to handle billions of subscribers and huge Data Extensions, so there nothing bad to report here in terms of scalability.

It seems that they try to sneak in a fee wherever they can. For instance, making you pay for Trigger emails to be instant instead of with a few minute delay.

That's where it gets bad, in my opinion. I have had to deal with the support several times. Almost every time, I told them the solution to the problem because I figured it out faster than they did. I guess the issue is the Level-1 support, because it's hard to make them understand what the issue is.

I used the Experian email platform and it was very slow and hard to use. Mailchimp is great for small businesses, but I wouldn't recommend it for a big corporation. I also had a look at Alterian and once again, it might be right for smaller businesses, not for a big corporation.

It takes a solutions architect like me to set it up because it's like setting up a database. You have to know what you're doing. There are a few things to setup at first, like defining if the SFMC is going to be the master data for the audience, or if it will sit in an external database.

I am part of the "vendor team". In my previous position, it was deployed through an external company which did a great job, and from there, I took the in-house work.

Not everything sold is vital, but there are advantages to having items like Journey Builder. The platform is worth the money for big corporations who want to take channel services to a higher level.

I arrived after the platform was selected, so I can't say much about that.

What other advice do I have?

I sincerely recommend the SFMC platform and advise you to hire a Solutions Architect to set it up. It is quite a complex piece of technology, full of nuggets that can only shine through proper care.