SaltStack Review

Deploying new Linux-based ERP servers is now automated, using the same template and standard.

Valuable Features

Remote code execution is the most valuable feature; also some of the configuration automation and the automated deployment possibilities it gives us.

Improvements to My Organization

We can now deploy a new (Linux-based) ERP server in 15 minutes; automated, all using the same template and standard. Before this, would take us two hours following a documented procedure.

Room for Improvement

Overall, the documentation is good but improvements can be made in documenting "real world" examples and practical usage. How to's and "best practices" that go a bit further would be really helpful to make sure you're using the product the best possible way. It's more like… how to "manage" all the configuration you use. Not only at a plain technical level but also at a higher level. Having an overview and managing all this is a bit difficult in the beginning.

It basically comes down to "orchestration"; there is some room for improvement in that.

The more you are experienced with this software, the easier it gets. But it's difficult getting up to speed without having these "real world" examples on managing your own SaltStack infrastructure. Experienced people that can showcase and share their use would help a lot in my opinion.

Some developers and employees are active in the public chat channel.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years.

I have not encountered any stability issues. Just take care when upgrading. Read the release notes and test.

I have not encountered any scalability issues yet.

Technical support for open source software = IRC, mailing list; very good community.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial (basic) setup is easy when you follow the docs.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, we evaluated Chef, Puppet, and Ansible. We found Salt to be closer to us on features and mindset.

Other Advice

Try it out; it won't cost you anything but some time.