SaltStack Review

I like knowing what state my machines are in, and being able to change their state all at once.

Valuable Features

I like knowing what state my machines are in, and I like being able to change their state all at once.

Improvements to My Organization

Some of what we do, we could not do without SaltStack.

Room for Improvement

Sometimes it feels like there are more moving parts than is necessary, and maybe something simpler would do.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years.

As long as the versions matched, we have not encountered any horrible stability issues so far. :)

The opposite: It does better with more nodes than it does with fewer, in my opinion.

The docs, though sometimes cryptic, are excellent and thorough. I haven't personally used their technical support services.

I previously used Puppet. I switched because our shop here likes using Python solutions over Ruby ones.

Initial setup was more complicated than Puppet, but the solution was also more comprehensive. Setup was worth the trouble.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

SaltStack is completely open source, though you might consider SaltStack Enterprise as a way to get up and running more quickly.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, Ansible and Puppet were brought up. Ansible seemed too small of a tool for what we needed and Puppet was written in Ruby, so they were discounted.

Other Advice

Thoroughly research how SaltStack works; that knowledge has helped me a lot.
SaltStack is a one-stop-shop for your datacenter's management, monitoring and state control needs. Using it that way allows you to get the most out of the tool. It is configuration management, but also orchestration, monitoring, and has reactive capabilities.

1 Comment
Orlee GillisConsultant

Hi Daniel,

I enjoyed your feedback about the Remote Execution features in SaltStack.

I think you will find this review interesting as it elaborates on the advantage of the Remote Execution feature that you've pointed out;

Would love to know your added feedback on the topic

28 September 16