SaltStack Review

The service automation is the basis of my work.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature of the product is the automation for services; it’s the basis of my work. It is important because nowadays, in this complex world, services have become the base for everything. Having a large base is needed to better build what you need for your pipelines, as opposed to a few years ago, when the application was king.

Improvements to My Organization

We created pipelines for all our products.

Room for Improvement

The base library is missing some key elements such as networking management (mine is lacking on that front) and some more granularity on the apt part.

Use of Solution

I have used it for 12 months.

I have not encountered any stability issues so far.

I have not encountered any scalability issues so far.

Technical support is just about right, in the sense that the product is well documented and information is easy to find.

We previously used Puppet, which was not suited for my current workload. We chose SaltStack because Ruby wasn't the language used by my team and we needed a master-client solution as opposed to a master-less one.

Initial setup was very easy.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Pricing and licensing is perfect the way it is.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated CFEngine.

Other Advice

Read the docs.

3 Comments
DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesReal User

Well done Luca.

Orlee GillisConsultant

Which direct benefits would you expect to see from an improvement in the networking management features?

DevOps Engineer at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employeesReal User

Something on the lines of a better management for the "smart" way ubuntu names the interfaces would be nice.
Some more base states for mangling iptables would be good as well