SaltStack Review

We use it for system deployment with AWS, and for OS and application patching.

Valuable Features

• Minion-less deployment of SaltStack. Minion is the client-side tool for SaltStack.

Improvements to My Organization

It’s a configuration management tool. We are using it for system deployment with AWS, patching of OS and applications. Deploying a patch on 200 systems is now just a click.

Room for Improvement

Minion-based deployment is not very smooth. Most of the time, many minions were in a stale state and didn't respond to the salt-master.

Use of Solution

I have used it for two years.

I encountered stability issues. Minions didn’t work well as they moved to the stall state. In that situation, the salt-master can’t connect to the client servers.

I encountered scalability issues.

Community-based technical support is good. I never took it directly from SaltStack.

I previously used Puppet and found SaltStack to be better in terms of configuration. It’s written in Python, which means easy integration, and the structure is YAML, which is very simple.

Initial setup is straightforward.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, I evaluated Puppet & Chef, but found SaltStack to be better.

Other Advice

I have no advice; it depends on infrastructure & application.