SaltStack Review

Gave us automation tools that allowed us to standardize our environment.

What is most valuable?

The ability to programmatically describe the desired state of a single, or an entire fleet of servers, on-premises, and in a cloud environment.

How has it helped my organization?

SaltStack gave us very useful automation tools that allowed us to standardize our environment, move at a much faster pace through repeatable deployments, and self-documentation of our infrastructure.

It allows us to describe the desired state of our entire fleet of servers through simple to understand syntax and templates all available at a single place.

This is great for things like documenting what a single machine or a group of machine does and how they are configured. It is also good in the event that one of them is lost and a new one needs to be provisioned quickly.

Instead of setting it up by hand, we end up telling it "you are this type of machine" and SaltStack will take care of ensuring that the machine becomes what is expected.

It also means that any machine of "this type" will be setup in a consistent manner thus avoiding unexpected surprises that could potentially become the cause of outages.

What needs improvement?

Each new version seems to bring a new set of bugs to the table and upgrading is risky, especially for a tool at the core of the operations and infrastructure.

A hardened set of tests would be much appreciated.

We have encountered many bugs during upgrades in the past and it seemed to me like those could have been caught by the developers at a much earlier stage then after doing a widespread release.

We have used this solution three years in production

We have encountered several issues when we upgraded to 2015.8. Some of those were eventually fixed by the community and through fixes we submitted to the project.

We have managed a fleet of hundreds of servers without any scalability issues on the horizon.

We have not requested technical support.

We evaluated Chef, CF Engine, and Puppet and we ultimately decided on SaltStack because:

• It is written in Python: Introspecting the code base, committing fixes and improving on the tools were easy for us to do.
  • The amount of tools already baked in the product and the extensive list of formulas made available by the community.

The initial setup was simple enough to get started and see the benefits that the solution brings. There are many tutorials available to get someone started.

Unfortunately, our experience is limited to the open-source (community) version. We have no information in regards to the enterprise offering.

We evaluated CF Engine, Chef, Puppet, Capistrano, and Fabric.

What other advice do I have?

Take some time to learn the types of problems it can solve and you will easily see the benefits that it can bring.