Sangfor NGAF Review

We don't lose data anymore because it protects us from viruses

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this solution as a firewall. A few years ago we had some data loss due to a virus, so this solution protects us from viruses, controls the track rate and detects these kinds of malware. We are very satisfied with the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I try to convert the benefit into a dollar value so that I can tell my clients or my management that I'm saving money. So, since we have zero issues, no malware activity, and no viruses, I have peace of mind. Before we started using this solution, we had a huge data loss and we lost millions of dollars.

If there is any activity on our servers, I get a report immediately. If anybody is trying to intrude, I am protected. So if somebody is trying to enter into our area, I get an alert. There are other standard safety measures too and it is linked to our backup, so everything is amazing. I think the value lies in not having a disaster in the healthcare industry. The cost of having a disaster here is multiplied by three if you compare it with any other industry.

Whenever there's an attack, your data is safe, and you can recover it after five hours and your patients' well-being isn't affected. I think this solution is a very good example of a proactive solution that can detect problems and immediately fix the problems or issues.

What is most valuable?

I think the most important feature is the solution's user-friendliness. It's very easy to manage and its database is amazing. It has all the features you need. When we installed the solution, we had a virus that hacked even our airline data, but thanks to the solution, we were protected. So their virus database is very strong, and they keep on updating. The normal features of any application firewall are that you can control it from anywhere and you can manage it very easy. Those things are very simple, and all NGAF providers have it. But I prefer Sangfor because it's really protecting us and it is easy to manage. It doesn't require a lot of skill sets to manage it. And their database is very strong.

What needs improvement?

We're still evaluating the program, so there is no guarantee that we will always get this kind of protection. They need to improve their research team and they need to study their data to analyze it and build the product. I think the developers should sit with their clients to understand how they can improve their product. Although it's running very smooth, they need to collect data from their clients to improve the product.

Cisco, for example, has forums where you can go and type in your question and get the answer. So the developers of Sangfor needs to get feedback from the users and adapt their product on the basis of that feedback.

I've been using the solution for almost two years now on premises and private cloud.

It seems to be a durable, stable product. My impression about Chinese products was different before I started using this solution. I'm very impressed with their improvement and the hardware seems to be very stable.

It's easily scalable. They've got different models of the software upgrade, so if you want to move your product and version, it can be scaled. We are expanding soon as we are building a new hospital in the region so we will soon need to scale up and increase the capacity and capability of the NGAF.

Whenever you have a problem, you'll get an answer in 30 minutes' time, maximum. Unless it is at a very awkward time, like in the middle of the night. They have a WeChat group on the cloud, so you can communicate there an get an answer within 30 minutes. The support is really good.

We used a normal firewall and antivirus solution - a combination of a hybrid system.

The initial setup was very straightforward and simple. They created a WeChat group and they send the product to us, knowing the email came to us. There were about three to four sessions. The deployment was very straightforward and they shared a lot of reviews. We looked at that and everything was fine. It's a low-cost implementation. The deployment took about four to five days. You only need one staff member for deployment.

I think the ROI is very high and the turnaround is very fast.

It costs about 8 to 10 thousand dollars per year for 500 users, standard licensing fees included.

What other advice do I have?

Sangfor NGAF is a good product. People should try it, especially those who are not using the software. These firewalls are great and everything is becoming properly defined, even the network, the computer, the firewalls, storage, and everything is just waiting to be properly defined. It's a unique combination and people should try it.

In the future, I would like to see it being controlled by an automatic, virtual orchestrator to control the firewall and all the data.

One a scale of one to ten, I rate this solution a nine.