SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise Review

What is most valuable?

• OLTP features
  • Robustness
  • Reliability

How has it helped my organization?

We receive millions of events from our customers and ASE. We are able to process them with thousand of operators working concurrently 24/7.

Usual activity is 1900 user & application connections, 1,500 transactions/sec, and 38,000 queries/sec

What needs improvement?

Cluster features: The Cluster Edition didn't get the same level of reliability as the Enterprise Edition did.

I have been using it for the last 20 years.

During the last 20 years, I have never had a stability problem with this product. Small specific bugs, but not affecting 24/7 operations.

Old versions had problems with scalability, due to blocking issues with high concurrence. After version 15, this was improved.

I have had no problems with tech support. Most of the issues were related to licensing problems. For bugs, we got quick fixes or workarounds.

We used MS SQL. We switched to ASE due to the scalability of the solution. We still use MS SQL in other small solutions.

Compared to other database engines, I think it's one of the easier ones, in terms of initial setup.

If you have more than one SAP product, it's good to take advantage of the platform licenses because you can move them from one product to another on demand.

Yes, Oracle Database with RAC. We considered it more complex to setup, maintain, and it's more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Check the new Hana evolution. They are building a new solution that isolates applications to the database layer. It has very interesting features. We are in the process of evaluating it.

1 visitor found this review helpful