SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise Review

Provides integration and ease of access to reporting; UI could be more user friendly

What is our primary use case?

The database server is used for the operations of the entire company, both financials and operationals. I'm the executive director, and we are users of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The financials is the most valuable feature for us in operational terms because we deal with a lot of services and SAP has integrated everything for us, both financial reporting and operations.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more friendly user interface. The solution is complicated and some of the field engineers, who are less exposed to the solution, are having problems which could be solved by simplification. The concern is that the data they provide might not be accurate and simplification would resolve that issue. I think the management feels that more can be done to get better value. The issue is not the performance of the product but the usability for people who are less skilled in using it.

Additional training would be helpful, but because of the nature of operations, those that support staff from the office find it easier because we spend more time using it than those in the field. Most of our engineers are on rigs, so it's a bit difficult getting them to come off the rigs for training, because that would require our operations to shut down.

I've been using this solution for five years.

This product is very stable.

Scalability is very good. We scaled up gradually from module to module and didn't have any problems.

We signed on for technical support from the initial consultant but when that didn't work, the second consultant finished implementation and provided support. We haven't had big issues that have required a lot of input so it's hard to rate.

We previously used Sage.

The consultant we used was not as competent as we had expected, so it was a bit of a drag and took some time. At some point we changed consultants and that helped. The migration period from Sage to SAP took a while but we got there - it wasn't a very smooth ride. For a while, management was concerned about the bumpy ride to implementation.

The licensing is expensive but it's worth it for our company.

We considered Oracle as an option, but it was a no go area because it was too complicated. For our purposes, there wasn't really any competition.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to make sure the product fits your requirements, otherwise it's a waste of money. We needed to solve workflow management issues, that was very, very critical. There might be cheaper applications out there that can solve other issues.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Oracle, Microsoft and others in Relational Databases. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.