SAP Business One on AWS Review

Cost-effective scalability and you can access it from anywhere

How has it helped my organization?

During the current times, amid the pandemic, having this solution allows us to much more ably work at home. You don't need to go to the office to access your ERP.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to access it from anywhere. We can collaborate as a team from all different locations.

Putting it on the cloud gives you cost-effectiveness and the power to easily scale up, either horizontally or vertically.

What needs improvement?

The browser access needs to improve, as everybody in the industry knows how limited it is. Everybody is excited for the next version to come out with the web-based client.

I would like to see a full Linux version available in the future.

I have been working with SAP Business One on AWS since 2015. We have been using the main product, Business One, since 2006.

This product is very stable.

If you need additional resources then all you have to do is adjust it, unlike an on-premises solution where you have to replace hardware and experience downtime. Having it on the cloud essentially gives you the power to scale it up, any time you want it.

We have about 60 users in our company and we are managing about 100 clients. SAP supports organizations of all sizes but it mainly targets medium-sized and enterprise-level companies.

Everybody in the SAP team, including the partners, are very knowledgable about the product at both the technical and the functional level.

The initial setup is very easy. If you are very familiar with the product then it will take you less than an hour to deploy. Integrating it is also easy to do. The majority of time for deployment would be with the installation itself, as opposed to the configuration because it is very straightforward.

In total, it will take less than a day to fully deploy on the cloud.

We have an in-house team to handle the integration of this product into different solutions. We have industry-specific implementation services for retail, manufacturing, real estate, and others.

Including the administrator, project manager, and consultants, you normally need less than five people to deploy. We have five people in our application support team that can take care of maintenance.

When it comes to ROI, our clients who concern themselves with it are comparing cloud-based deployments to on-premises deployments. The companies that are investing a lot of money in their on-premises server don't mind investing more if it means transitioning them to the cloud. The security is better and accessibility improved, which is worth the investment.

SAP is a fair price and you get what you pay for. There are two versions, being a limited and a professional one. In some companies, they call the professional one the "Super User".

The price of the limited version is about 70,000 Pesos ($2,900 USD), and the professional version is about double at 140,000 Pesos ($5,800 USD).

If you need to integrate with other third-party software then you need to purchase Indirect Licenses, which are in addition to the standard fees. There would also be an implementation cost in this case.

What other advice do I have?

When this solution is installed, there are three servers. One is Active Directory, the second is the remote desktop, and the third is the SAP Database Server. In version 9.3, it is not purely cloud-based, which is why you need the remote desktop. In the upcoming version, 10.0, there will be a web-based client, which means that the entire solution will be purely cloud-based. This will result in better client experience.

My advice for anybody who is implementing SAP Business One on AWS is to be prepared. You have to understand the product really well before beginning the implementation. There are several certifications and accreditations available from SAP that are available in the training, which is a good place to start.

I also suggest getting the best consultants and technical team to assist with implementation.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from working with this solution is that you cannot learn enough by just reading about it. You need to have real-life, hands-on experience with implementing it and using it. There are a lot of things to learn and the biggest benefits come from experiencing it yourself. The documentation is okay but it is not a substitute for experience.

Overall, this is a really good product and I would rate it a ten out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)