SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform Review

We found the deployment of SAP BO to be very complex, and the initial setup complex as well

During my project work (by group & at school), I’ve had the opportunity to work with Qlikview & SAP BO. I've been working with SAP BO for 1 year. On a scale from 1-5 (1=worst, 5=best), I would give SAP BO a 1. My experiences with SAP BO were not positive. But on a technical level, the way BO works to handle the loop is very good.

In our company we have to build lots of complex things to answer simple requirements. Luckily, the solution still works, nonetheless this product has a lot of room for improvement: we found the deployment of SAP BO to be very complex, and the initial setup complex as well. If I were advising others about to implement this product, I would tell them to search for a company who specialize in implementing BI.

1 visitor found this review helpful
8 Comments
Fundoo_BI_007Vendor

Hi,
You have not mentioned which OS you were trying to configure BO in? One of the things that I can say why you may have found BO difficult is because like any enterprise BI tool it is pretty confiugrable and flexible and that can confuse a normal user. Also if you have big reports (read long running) and lot of concurrent users then yes configuration becomes important for optimal performance and usage. But if it is a small setup (less than 100 users total) it is a pretty simple plug and play model (assuming the hardware requirements given in the product availability report are met).

Hope this helps.

09 April 15
H.Emre ArıkanReal User

It is awkward to install and use BO in a project at school for a project. I would have preferred a simpler and smarter BI solution. BO is a BI SUITE tailored for large enterprises busy with diverse tasks and problems , which are probably irrelevant for school projects. I don't like BO very much, but it is apparently one of the best in its segment.

Senior Manager of Data Analytics at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employeesVendor

The installation of SAP BI (BO) is rather simple if all pre-requisites are in place. Running the installation wizard takes you 5-10 minutes. Installation speed itself will depend on the hardware and options you choose. Once the product has been installed, there an automatic configuration wizard in the CMC which will configure the system based on your requirements. For evaluation purposes it could not be simpler for Enterprise software, but advanced tuning and configuring the system requires knowledge as any Enterprise Software does. I would look for an expert on this or attend the admin training if you are deploying it as production system. No Enteprise SW is like Excel to install :)

10 April 15
Senior Reporting Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesConsultant

Not to mention the fact the you cannot install the client tool on a computer with Crystal Reports 2013. We had to uninstall 2013, put on 2008 just to be able to install the client tools. Pretty sad when your own product does not play nicely with other products under the same umbrella. Needless to say, the client started using QlikView for their dashboard needs. Much easier to install and create dashboards than Webi and Xcelsius.

Fundoo_BI_007Vendor

Hi,
Whether anybody likes a tool or not can be a personal choice but like
you said it is definitely one of the best in terms of its breadth and
functionality. The advantage of enterprise BI tools like BO, Cognos is that
it can be installed for a small setup in a very fast way. But yes should it
be used for a school project is debatable unless requirement for the
project is to simulate a real company's scenario (even if it is small).

Regards

Data Expert at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employeesVendor

Easiest to install but in my opinion worst on tech support, worst on dashboard architecture but best on publication functionality. I have 16 yrs of bo admin and developer experience. I have 4 yrs of microstrategy and that tool can be harder from scratch but the worst to install is clearly microsoft bi. I have been an admin for 2 yrs on that product and that one has no admin guide that brings all their tools together. So far i have been one of the few to put together a document 135 pages mind you on the install with screenshots.

I can have a bo installed to sql server and production quality ready in about 4 hrs. 2 hrs for the install and load balanced and clustered.

Many companies are moving away from BO since SAP stopped innovating the product. My guess is sap will buy BIRST. SAP has no cloud BI solution and the architecture is very similar to BO

Data Expert at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employeesVendor

Many midwest companies have walked away from BO that are larger companies.

H.Emre ArıkanReal User

Best on publication functionality especially if you dont schedule the publication:-). it doesnt work since we are on 4.1 SP5 namely. Tech Support is really sick I agree. If you have a major problem, be ready to discuss to death with the support engineer over a ticket.